Synthesis of Coumarin Appended 1,3-Oxazines as Potent Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Agents
- 94 Downloads
A convenient protocol for the synthesis of coumarin appended 1,3-benzoxazine derivatives (4a – 4g) is described. Cyclisation of hydrazones (3a – 3g) using triphosgene in dichloromethane gave the corresponding 1,3-oxazines in a relatively good yield. The proposed structures of newly synthesized compounds were confirmed by spectral methods and elemental analysis. Oxazine derivatives 4a – 4g were evaluated for their in vitro antimicrobial activity against various bacteria and fungi. Compounds 4b and 4d inhibited growth of test microbes thus proving significant antimicrobial activity. In addition, in vitro antioxidant activity of the synthesized compounds was evaluated and compared to that of standards, showing DPPH, NO, and OH radical scavenging properties. Compounds 4b and 4f exhibited higher antioxidant activity than a standard drug.
Keywordsantioxidant antimicrobial coumarin hydrazones oxazine triphosgene
The authors are grateful to the University Grants Commission, New Delhi, for financial support through major research project grant (F: 42-230/2013 (SR) dated March 25, 2013). One of the authors, Renuka N, is grateful to the UGC for awarding NON-NET Fellowship (Order No. DV9/192/NON-NETFS/2013-14, dated November 11, 2013).
- 1.K. M. Dawood, N. M. Elwan, A. A. Farah, et al., J. Heterocyclic Chem., 47, 243 – 267 (2010).Google Scholar
- 3.I. Kostova, Curr. Med. Chem., 5, 29 – 46 (2005).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Singh, H. K. Parwana, and G. Singh, Indian J. Pharm. Sci., 57, 198 – 202 (1995).Google Scholar
- 13.T. D. Rojas-Walker, S. Tamir, H. Ji, et al., Chem. Res., 8, 473 – 477 (1995).Google Scholar
- 15.P. Jayaroopa and K. Ajay Kumar, Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci., 5 (4), 431 – 433 (2013).Google Scholar
- 16.N. Renuka, G. Pavithra, and K. Ajay Kumar, Pharma Chem., 6(1), 482 – 485 (2014).Google Scholar