Determination of Cohort Size for Studies of Bioequivalence Using Computer Modeling
- 33 Downloads
The randomized crossover (2 × 2) protocol is a standard design for studies of bioequivalence, reducing intraindividual variability. Determination of cohort size for studies of bioequivalence is an important element in planning studies and must be evidence-based. The aim of the present work was to produce and validate an algorithm for determining the required cohort size for studies of bioequivalence using computer simulation. The proposed algorithm is based on a procedure for assessing the power of the statistical test for known numbers of observations, variance, and preset values of acceptable first-order error levels.
Keywordsbioequivalence pharmacokinetics cohort size simulation
- 1.Federal law No. 61-FZ, “Circulation of Medicines”, of April 12, 2010 (with amendments and supplements in force from January 1, 2017), Moscow (2016).Google Scholar
- 2.Handbook for the Assessment of Medicines [in Russian], Grif i K, Moscow (2014); Vol. 1. ISBN 978-5-8125-1858-5.Google Scholar
- 3.Rules for Studies of Biological Medicines of the Eurasian Economic Union [in Russian] (https: // docs.eaeunion.org / docs /ru-ru / 01411955 / cncd 21112016 89 2).
- 4.Guidance for industry: Statistical Approaches Establishing Bioequivalence (2001); prepared by the Population and Individual Bioequivalence Working Group of the Biopharmaceutics Coordinating Committee in the Office of Pharmaceutical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).Google Scholar
- 5.E. Diletti, D. Hauschke, and V. W. Steinijans, Int. J. Clin. Pharm. Ther. Toxicol., 19, 1 – 8 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.Shein-Chung Chow and Hansheng Wang, J. Pharmacokinet. Pharmacodynam., 28(2), 155 – 169 (2001).Google Scholar
- 7.D. B. Owen, Biometrika, 52, 437 – 446 (1965).Google Scholar
- 8.PowerTOST: Power and Sample Size Based on Two One-Sided t-Tests (TOST) for (Bio) Equivalence Studies reference manual v. 1.4 – 4 2017 – 03 – 15; https: // cran.r-project.org / web /packages / PowerTOST / index.html.
- 10.D. E. Knuth; in: The Art of Computer Programming, Boston (1997), Seminumerical Algorithms, section 3.4.1, subsection C.Google Scholar
- 11.D. J. Sheskin, Handbook of Parametric and Nonparametric Statistical Procedures, Fourth Edition, ISBN: 1584888148.Google Scholar
- 12.J. F. Monahan, ACM Trans. Math. Software, 13, 168 – 172 (1987).Google Scholar
- 13.https: // github.com / PharmCat / Bioequivalence
- 14.http: // dst.lbl.gov / ACSSoftware / colt /.