How Do Faculty Make Formative Use of Student Evaluation Feedback?: A Multiple Case Study
- 460 Downloads
This multiple case study explored faculty formative use of student evaluation feedback. Results were based on interviews of ten education faculty members at a midwestern research university and reviews of relevant documents. It was found that end of semester student evaluation, originally used for summative evaluation, was also used by faculty for teaching improvement purposes. Faculty cared for student evaluation feedback and used discretion in using the feedback to improve their teaching. Faculty also experienced anxiety and tensions in the context of a mandated summative evaluation. Variations were found in faculty use of evaluation feedback, as a result of difference in background and experience.
KeywordsStudent evaluation of teaching Formative use of evaluation feedback Summative evaluation
- Centra, J. A. (1993). Reflective Faculty Evaluation. San Francisco, California: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Cramer, K. M., & Alexitch, L. R. (2000). Student evaluations of college professors: identifying sources of bias. Canadian Journal of Higher Education 30(2), 143–164.Google Scholar
- Creswell, J. W. (1998). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Traditions. Thousand Oaks, California: SageGoogle Scholar
- Jacobs, L. C. (1987). University Faculty and Students' Opinions of Student Ratings. Bloomington, Indiana: Bureau of Evaluative Studies and Testing. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED291291).Google Scholar
- Marincovich, M. (1998). Ending the Disconnect Between the Student Evaluation of Teaching and the Improvement of Teaching: A Faculty Developer's Plea (Report No. NCPI-1-02). Standford, California: National Center for Postsecondary Improvement. (Eric Document Reproduction Service No. ED428590).Google Scholar
- Marsh, H. W., & Roche, L. (1993). The use of students' evaluations and an individually structured intervention to enhance university teaching effectiveness. American Educational Research Journal 30(1), 217–251.Google Scholar
- Midwest University (1989). Guidelines for evaluation of faculty: annual evaluations, promotion, and tenure. Retrieved May 5, 2000, from http://www.???.edu/svcaa/policies/faculty/ tenureguide.html.
- Midwest University (1998). Post-tenure review policy. Retrieved May 6, 2000, from http://www.???.edu/svcaa/polocies/posttenure.html.
- Midwest University, School of Education (1997a). Promotion and Tenure Document.Google Scholar
- Midwest University, School of Education (1997b). Official Papers.Google Scholar
- Murray, H. G., Jelley, R. R., & Renauld, R. D. (1996, April). Longitudinal Trends in Student Instructional Ratings: Does Evaluation of Teaching Lead to Improvement of Teaching? Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York.Google Scholar
- Spencer, P. A., & Flyr, M. A. (1992) The formal evaluation as an impetus to classroom change: myth or reality? Riverside, California. (Eric Document Reproduction Service No. ED349053).Google Scholar
- Stake, R. E. (1995). The Art of Case Study Research. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage.Google Scholar
- Wolfer, T. A., & Johnson, M. M. (2003). Re-evaluating student evaluation of teaching: the teaching evaluation form. Journal of Social Work Education 39(1), 111–121.Google Scholar