Ice And The Origin Of Life
- 460 Downloads
Sea ice occurs abundantly at the polar caps of the Earth and, probably, of many other planets. Its static and dynamic properties that may be important for prebiotic and early biotic reactions are described. It concentrates substrates and has many features that are important for catalytical actions. We propose that it provided optimal conditions for the early replication of nucleic acids and the RNA world. We repeated a famous prebiotic experiment, the poly-uridylic acid-instructed synthesis of polyadenylic acid from adenylic acid imidazolides in artificial sea ice, simulating the dynamic variability of real sea ice by cyclic temperature variation. Poly(A) was obtained in high yield and reached nucleotide chain lengths up to 400 containing predominantly 3′→ 5′ linkages.
Keywordsreplication RNA world poly(A) prebiotic chemistry ribozymes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Assur A.: 1958, Composition of Sea Ice and its Tensile Strength, inArctic Sea Ice, U.S. National Academy of Science – National Research Council, Pub. 598, pp. 106–138.Google Scholar
- Groudieva, T., Kambourova, M., Yusef, H., Royter, M., Grote, R., Trinks, H. and Antrani-kian, G.: 2004, Diversity and Cold-Active Hydrolytic Enzymes of Culturable Bacteria Associated with Arctic Sea Ice, Spitsbergen, Extremophiles, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Sakshaug, E., Bjørge, A., Gulliksen, B., Løng, H. and Mehlum, F.: 1994, Oekosystem Barenthavet, Norges Forskningsrad Universitetsforlaget, Oslo, Norway.Google Scholar
- Steponkus, P. L., Stout, D. G., Wolfe, J. and Lovelace, R. V. E.: 1984, Freeze-Induced Electrical Transient and Cryoinjury, Cryo-Letters 5, 343–348.Google Scholar
- Trinks, H.: 2001a, Leben im Eis, Frederking and Thaler Verlag, Munich, Germany.Google Scholar
- Trinks, H.: 2001b, Auf den Spuren des Lebens (Origin of Life in Sea Ice), Shaker Verlag, Aachen, Germany.Google Scholar
- Trinks, H., Schröder, W. and Biebricher, C. K.: 2003, Eis und die Entstehung des Lebens, Shaker Verlag, Aachen, Germany.Google Scholar
- Wettlaufer, J. S., Dash, J. G. and Untersteiner, N.: 1999, Ice Physics and the Natural Environment, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar