Preseparable Extensions of Multidimensional Preferences
- 51 Downloads
Throughout much of the literature in economics and political science, the notion of separability provides a mechanism for characterizing interdependence within individual preferences over multiple dimensions. In this paper, we show how preseparable extensions can be used to construct certain classes of separable and non-separable preferences. We prove several associated combinatorial results, and we note a correspondence between separable preference orders, Boolean term orders, and comparative probability relations. We also mention several open questions pertaining to preseparable extensions and separable preferences.
KeywordsPreseparable extension Separable preferences Multidimensional preferences Referendum elections Admissible character
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hodge, J.K.: Separable Preference Orders. Ph.D. thesis, Western Michigan University (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Hodge, J.K., Klima, R.E.: The Mathematics of Voting and Elections: A Hands on Approach. Mathematical World, vol. 22. American Mathematical Society, Providence (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Kilgour, D.M.: Separable and Non-separable Preferences in Multiple Referenda. Wilfrid Laurier University (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Sloane, N.: The online encyclopedia of integer sequences. www.research.att.com/ njas/sequences/ (2008). Accessed 15 July 2008
- 11.Stanley, R.P.: Enumerative Combinatorics, vol. 2. Cambridge, New York (1999)Google Scholar