Optimization in offshore supply vessel planning
- 519 Downloads
This paper considers the offshore supply vessel (OSV) planning problem, which consists of determining an optimal fleet size and mix of OSVs as well as their weekly routes and schedules for servicing offshore oil and gas installations. The work originates from a project with Statoil, the leading operator on the Norwegian continental shelf. We present both a new arc-flow and a voyage-based model for solving the OSV planning problem. A decision support tool based on the voyage-based model has been used by planners in Statoil, and cost savings from this was estimated to approximately 3 million USD/year. Weather conditions at the Norwegian continental shelf can be harsh; wave heights may limit both an OSV’s sailing speed and the time to perform unloading/loading operations at the installations. Hence, we analyze the weather impact on the execution of a schedule and propose robustness approaches to obtain solutions that can better withstand delays due to rough weather. Simulations indicate that such solutions both are more robust and have lower expected costs.
KeywordsFleet planning Offshore supply Routing Optimization Simulation
This work has received financial support through the researcher project DOMinant II funded by the Research Council of Norway, and the innovation project MOLO, partly funded by the Research Council of Norway. This support is greatly appreciated.
- Christiansen M, Fagerholt K, Nygreen B, Ronen D (2007) Maritime transportation. In: Barnhart C, Laporte G (eds) Handbooks in operations research and management science vol 14 transportation. North-Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Halvorsen-Weare EE, Fagerholt K (2011) Robust supply vessel planning. In: Pahl J, Reiners T, Voß S (eds) Network optimization. Lecture notes in computer science, vol 6701. Berlin, Springer, pp 559–573Google Scholar
- Maisiuk Y, Gribkovskaia I (2014) Fleet sizing for offshore supply vessels with stochastic sailing and service times. procedia Comput Sci 30:939948Google Scholar
- Ross SM (2007) Introduction to probability models, 9th edn. Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Statoil (2011) Logistikkportalen. http://www.logistikkportalen.no. Accessed 30 Nov 2011