Productivity in Cargo Handling in Spanish Ports During a Period of Regulatory Reforms
- 140 Downloads
The objective of this research is to measure productivity changes in cargo handling operations in Spanish ports. By means of Data Envelopment Analysis and the calculation of the Malmquist indices we have decomposed those changes into efficiency and technical change effects. The study covers a period from 1994 to 1998, when the significant regulatory and technical changes introduced during the eighties had matured. The results show an improvement in productivity imputable totally to technical change, since the technical efficiency has not been corrected in that period.
KeywordsCargo handling Spanish ports DEA Productivity Efficiency Technical change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cooper W, Seiford LM, Tone K (2000) Data envelopment analysis. A comprehensive text with models, applications, references and DEA-Solver software. Kluwer, NorwellGoogle Scholar
- Coto-Millán P, Martínez-Budría E (1995) Contribución a la economía española del sector portuario. In: Eduardo Martínez-Budría coordinator, La Economía del Sector Portuario, Boletín ICE Económico No. 2460–2461Google Scholar
- Cullinane K, Wang T-F, Song D-W, Ji P (2006) The technical efficiency of container ports: comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis. Transp Res Part A 40:354–374Google Scholar
- Cullinane K, Talley WK (eds) (2006) Port economics. Research in transportation economics. Vol. 16. ElsevierGoogle Scholar
- Jara-Díaz S, Martínez-Budría E, Díaz-Hernández JJ (2006) Multiple output in port cost functions. In: Cullinane K, Talley WK (eds) Port economics. Research in transportation economics. Volume 16. Elsevier, pp 67–84Google Scholar
- Talley WK (2000) Ocean container shipping: impacts of a technological improvement. J Econ Issues XXXIV(No 4):933–947Google Scholar