Neuroprotective Effects of Bacopa monnieri in Experimental Model of Dementia
Alzheimer disease (AD) is characterized by dementia that begins as mild short term memory deficit and culminates in total loss of cognitive and executive functions. The present study was conducted to evaluate the neuroprotective potential of Bacopa monnieri (BM), an Indian traditional medicinal plant effective against cognitive impairment, in colchicine-induced dementia. Intracerebroventricular administration of colchicine (15 μg/5 μl) induced cognitive impairment in rats as assessed by elevated plus maze. This was accompanied by a significant increase in oxidative stress in term of enhanced levels of lipid peroxidation and protein carbonyls. Concomitantly, decrease in activity of antioxidant enzymes was observed in colchicine treated animals. BM (50 mg/kg body weight) supplementation reversed memory impairment observed in the colchicine treated rats. BM administration attenuated oxidative damage, as evident by decreased LPO and protein carbonyl levels and restoration in activities of the antioxidant enzymes. The activity of membrane bound enzymes (Na+K+ ATPase and AChE) was altered in colchicine treated brain regions and BM supplementation was able to restore the activity of enzymes to comparable values observed in controls. The results suggest therapeutic potential of BM in the treatment of AD associated cognitive decline.
KeywordsAlzheimer’s disease Antioxidants Bacopa monnieri Colchicine Dementia Oxidative stress
The financial assistance provided from Department of Science and Technology (DST) New Delhi, under women scientist fellowship and DST-PURSE grants is highly acknowledged.
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
- 25.Shinomol GK, Bharath MM, Muralidhara (2011) Neuromodulatory propensity of Bacopa monnieri leaf extract against 3-nitropropionic acid-induced oxidative stress: in vitro and in vivo evidences. Neurotox Res 22:102–114Google Scholar
- 28.Mishra S, Srivastava S, Dwivedi S, Tripathi RD (2011) Investigation of biochemical responses of Bacopa monnieri L. upon exposure to arsenate. Environ Toxicol. doi: 10.1002/tox.20733
- 35.Kumar A, Dogra S, Prakash A (2009) Neuroprotective effects of Centella asiatica against intracerebroventricular colchicine-induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress. Int J Alzheimers Dis 2009:pii972178Google Scholar
- 37.Khurana S, Jain S, Mediratta PK, Banerjee BD, Sharma KK (2012) Protective role of curcumin on colchicine-induced cognitive dysfunction and oxidative stress in rats. Hum Exp Toxicol. doi: 10.1177/0960327111433897
- 51.Whittaker MW (1984) Cholinesterases. In: Bergmeyer HU (ed) Methods of enzymatic analysis. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim, pp 52–74Google Scholar
- 57.Shinomol GK, Muralidhara (2011) Bacopa monnieri modulates endogenous cytoplasmic and mitochondrial oxidative markers in prepubertal mice brain. Phytomedicine 18: 317–326Google Scholar
- 78.Barbosa J Jr, Ferreira LT, Martins-Silva C, Santos MS, Torres GE, Caron MG, Gomez MV, Ferguson SS, Prado MA, Prado VF (2002) Trafficking of the vesicular acetylcholine transporter in SN56 cells: a dynamin-sensitive step and interaction with the AP-2 adaptor complex. J Neurochem 82:1221–1228PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 87.Shinomol GK, Bharath MM, Muralidhara (2012) Pretreatment with Bacopa monnieri extract offsets 3-nitropropionic acid induced mitochondrial oxidative stress and dysfunctions in the striatum of prepubertal mouse brain. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 90:595–606Google Scholar