TOMM40 poly-T Variants and Cerebrospinal Fluid Amyloid Beta Levels in the Elderly
A variable poly-T polymorphism in the TOMM40 gene, which is in linkage disequilibrium with APOE, was recently implicated with increased risk and earlier onset age for late-onset Alzheimer’s disease in APOE ε3 carriers. To elucidate potential neurobiological mechanisms underlying this association, we compared the effect of TOMM40 poly-T variants to the effect of APOE, an established LOAD-risk modulator, on cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) amyloid beta (Aβ) and tau levels, in cognitively intact elderly subjects. APOE ε4 carriers showed significant reductions in Aβ 1-42 levels compared to non-ε4 carriers, but no differences were detected across TOMM40 variants. Neither Aβ 1-40 nor tau levels were affected by APOE or TOMM40.
KeywordsTOMM40 poly-T APOE Cerebrospinal fluid Amyloid beta T tau P tau Alzheimer’s disease
- 3.Caselli RJ, Saunders A, Lutz M, Huentelman M, Reiman E, Roses A (2010). TOMM40, APOE, and age of onset of Alzheimer’s disease. Poster presented at the Alzheimer’s association international conference on Alzheimer’s disease, Honolulu, HIGoogle Scholar
- 5.Humphries AD, Streimann IC, Stojanovski D, Johnston AJ, Yano M, Hoogenraad NJ, Ryan MT (2005) Dissection of the mitochondrial import and assembly pathway for human TOM40. Int J Biochem Mol Biol 280:11535–11543Google Scholar
- 8.Fagan AM, Mintun MA, Shah AR, Aldea P, Roe CM, Mach RH, Marcus D, Morris JC, Holtzman DM (2009) Cerebrospinal fluid tau and ptau181 increase with cortical amyloid deposition in cognitively normal individuals: Implications for future clinical trials of Alzheimer’s disease. EMBO Mol Med 1:371–380PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Andreasen N, Hesse C, Davidsson P, Minthon L, Wallin A, Winblad B, Vanderstichele H, Vanmechelen E, Blennow K (1999) Cerebrospinal fluid β-amyloid (1–42) in Alzheimer’s disease: differences between early- and late-onset Alzheimer disease and stability during the course of disease. Arch Neurol 56:673–680PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Vanmechelen E, Vanderstichele H, Davidsson P, Van Kerschaver E, Van der Perre B, Sjögren M, Andreasen N, Blennow K (2000) Quantification of tau phosphorylated at threonine 181 in human cerebrospinal fluid: a sandwich ELISA with a synthetic phosphopeptide for standardization. Neurosci Lett 285:49–52PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar