Aptamer-based selective KB cell killing by the photothermal effect of gold nanorods
- 162 Downloads
Development of both specific receptors against target cancer cells and therapeutic tools using receptor-functionalized nanoplatforms are important in cancer treatment. To address these challenges, we developed KB cell–specific aptamers using systematic evolution of ligands by exponential enrichment (SELEX). Additionally, we combined the targeting properties of aptamers and photothermal characteristics of GNRs. As a result, we generated efficient aptamer-gold nanorods (Apt-GNRs) targeting KB cancer cells and exhibiting photothermal therapeutic effects. When the samples were irradiated with a light-emitting diode at 845 nm, the targeted KB cells showed ~ 80% cell death compared with the unirradiated and aptamer-free control. Based on the low toxicity, biocompatibility, and selectivity of Apt-GNRs, the proposed nanoplatform has significant potential as a cancer therapy in vivo.
KeywordsSystematic evolution of ligands by exponential enrichment KB cancer cells Aptamers Gold nanorods Photothermal killing Nanomedicine
This work was financially supported by grants from the Global Research Lab (GRL) Program [NRF-2013K1A1A2A02050616] and the Mid-career Researcher Program [NRF-2017R1A2B3010816] through a National Research Foundation grant funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT, and Future Planning.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Kim H, Chang JH (2014) Dual thermal therapeutic method for selective treatment of deep-lying tissue. IEEE Int Ultrason Symp 6932195:21–24Google Scholar
- Li TK, Yin K, Chen Z, Bao Y, Zhang SX (2017) MiR-214 regulates oral cancer KB cell apoptosis through targeting RASSF5. Genet Mol Res 16:gmr16019327Google Scholar
- Pang X, Cui C, Wan S, Jiang Y, Zhang L, Xia L, Li L, Li X, Tan W (2018) Bioapplications of cell-SELEX-generated aptamers in cancer diagnostics. Ther Theranostics and Biomarker Discov: A Comprehensive Review Cancers 10:E47Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (2018) Fact sheet on cancer. WHO, Geneva, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Zhang S, Li Y, He X, Dong S, Huang Y, Li X, Li Y, Jin C, Zhang Y, Wang Y (2014) Photothermolysis mediated by gold nanorods modified with EGFR monoclonal antibody induces Hep-2 cells apoptosis in vitro and in vivo. Int J Nanomedicine 9:1931–1946Google Scholar