Immobilization of silver nanoparticles in Zr-based MOFs: induction of apoptosis in cancer cells
- 258 Downloads
Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) are a potential class of nanomaterial for antibiosis and chemotherapeutic effects against human carcinoma cells. However, the DNA-damaging ability of free AgNPs pose the critical issues in their biomedical applications. Herein, we demonstrated a facile method to capture Ag+ ions and reduce them into active AgNPs within Zr-based metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) of UiO-66 with a mild reductant of DMF (AgNPs@UiO-66(DMF)). The average diameters of UiO-66 carriers and AgNPs were facilely controlled to be 140 and 10 nm, respectively. The obtained UiO-66 nanocarriers exhibited excellent biocompatibility and could be effectively endocytosed by cancer cells. Additionally, the AgNPs@UiO-66(DMF) could rapidly release Ag+ ions and efficiently inhibit the growth of cancer cells. The half maximal inhibitory concentration (IC50) values of the encapsulated AgNPs were calculated to be 2.7 and 2.45 μg mL−1 for SMMC-7721 and HeLa cells, respectively, which were much lower than those of free AgNPs in the reported works. Therefore, the developed AgNPs@UiO-66(DMF) not only maintained the therapeutic effect against cancer cells but also reduced the dosage of free AgNPs in chemotherapy treatment.
KeywordsMetal-organic frameworks Silver nanoparticles Cancer Induction of apoptosis Nanobiomedicine
This work was financially supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China (51072053, 51372084), the Innovation Program of Shanghai Municipal Education Commission (13zz040), the Nano-Special Foundation for Shanghai Committee of Science and Technology (12 nm0502600), and the 111 Project (B14018).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no competing financial interest.
- Deng K, Hou Z, Li X, Li C, Zhang Y, Deng X, Cheng Z, Lin J (2015) Aptamer-mediated up-conversion core/MOF shell nanocomposites for targeted drug delivery and cell imaging. Sci Rep 5(7851). https://doi.org/10.1038/srep07851
- Gurunathan S, Han JW, Dayem AA, Eppakayala V, Park JH, Cho SG, Lee KJ, Kim JH (2013) Green synthesis of anisotropic silver nanoparticles and its potential cytotoxicity in human breast cancer cells (MCF-7). J Ind Eng Chem 19:1600–1605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2013.01.029 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Igaz N, Kovács D, Rázga Z, Kónya Z, Boros IM, Kiricsi M (2016) Modulating chromatin structure and DNA accessibility by deacetylase inhibition enhances the anti-cancer activity of silver nanoparticles. Colloids Surf B: Biointerfaces 146:670–677. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2016.07.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jeyaraj M, Rajesh M, Arun R, MubarakAli D, Sathishkumar G, Sivanandhan G, Dev GK, Manickavasagam M, Premkumar K, Thajuddin N, Ganapathi A (2013) An investigation on the cytotoxicity and caspase-mediated apoptotic effect of biologically synthesized silver nanoparticles using Podophyllum hexandrum on human cervical carcinoma cells. Colloids Surf B 102:708–717. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2012.09.042 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kim J, Yeo S, Jeon J-D, Kwak S-Y (2015) Enhancement of hydrogen storage capacity and hydrostability of metal–organic frameworks (MOFs) with surface-loaded platinum nanoparticles and carbon black. Microporous Mesoporous Mater 202:8–15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2014.09.025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kovács D, Szőke K, Igaz N, Spengler G, Molnár J, Tóth T, Madarász D, Rázga Z, Kónya Z, Boros IM, Kiricsi M (2016) Silver nanoparticles modulate ABC transporter activity and enhance chemotherapy in multidrug resistant cancer. Nanomedicine 12:601–610. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2015.10.015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Manikandan R, Manikandan B, Raman T, Arunagirinathan K, Prabhu NM, Jothi Basu M, Perumal M, Palanisamy S, Munusamy A (2015) Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using ethanolic petals extract of Rosa indica and characterization of its antibacterial, anticancer and anti-inflammatory activities. Spectrochim Acta A 138:120–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2014.10.043 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu W-X, Li J, Liu R-P, Zhou W-X, Ma W-Y, Zhang F-X (2013) A novel 1D linear zinc(II) coordination polymer based 2, 2′-bipyridine-4, 4′-dicarboxylic acid: synthesis, crystal structure and photoluminescence property. Inorganic Chem Commun 28:12–15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inoche.2012.11.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang X, Li L, He D, Hai L, Tang J, Li H, He X, Wang K (2017b) A metal-organic framework based nanocomposite with co-encapsulation of Pd@Au nanoparticles and doxorubicin for pH- and NIR-triggered synergistic chemo-photothermal treatment of cancer cells. J Mater Chem B 5(24):4648–4659. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7TB00715A CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang H, Yuan X, Zeng G, Wu Y, Liu Y, Jiang Q, Gu S (2015) Three dimensional graphene based materials: synthesis and applications from energy storage and conversion to electrochemical sensor and environmental remediation. Adv Colloid Interf Sci 221:41–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2015.04.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar