Rapid synthesis of N, S co-doped carbon dots and their application for Fe3+ ion detection
- 300 Downloads
In this study, nitrogen and sulfur co-doped carbon dots (NSCDs) were fabricated by microwave-assisted one-pot synthesis using vitamin C and thiourea as precursors. The as-prepared NSCDs demonstrated excellent properties, including aqueous dispensability, strong fluorescence emission, excellent environmental stability, high selectivity, and sensitivity toward Fe3+ ions. The NSCD-based material can be used as a “turn off” fluorescent probe for detecting Fe3+ ions at a low detection limit (4.2 nM). In addition, the “turn off” and “turn on” of NSCD fluorescent probe could be modulated by adding Fe3+ and EDTA, indicating weak interaction between the Fe3+ ions and NSCDs.
KeywordsCarbon dots Fluorescent probe N,S-coped Ferric ion
This work was supported by the Department of Education Anhui Province (No. gxyqZD2016245 and KJ2016A744), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 21377099), the Science Foundation of West Anhui University (No. WXZR1522, WXZR201713, and WXZR201729), and polymer material modification engineering technology center of West Anhui University.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Amjadi M, Shokri R, Hallaj T (2015) A new turn-off fluorescence probe based on graphene quantum dots for detection of Au (III) ion. Spectrochim Acta A 153(14):619–624Google Scholar
- Wu ZL, Gao MX, Wang TT, Wan XY, Zheng LL, Huang CZ (2014) A general quantitative pH sensor developed with dicyandiamide N-doped high quantum yield graphene quantum dots. Nano 6(7):3868–3874Google Scholar
- Yang H, Li F, Zou C, Huang Q, Chen D (2017) Sulfur-doped carbon dots and derived 3D carbon nanoflowers are effective visible to near infrared fluorescent probes for hydrogen peroxide. Microchim Acta1 84(7):2055–2062Google Scholar
- Zhang R, Chen W (2014) Nitrogen-doped carbon dots: facile synthesis and application as a "turn-off" fluorescent probe for detection of Hg2+ ions. Biosens Bioelectron 55:83–90Google Scholar
- Zhang YQ, Ma DK, Zhuang Y, Zhang X, Chen W, Hong LL, Yan QX, Yu K, Huang SM (2012) One-pot synthesis of N-doped carbon dots with tunable luminescence properties. J Mater Chem 22(33):16714–16718Google Scholar