Exploiting character networks for movie summarization
- 252 Downloads
Movie summarization focuses on providing as much information as possible for shorter movie clips while still keeping the content of the original movie and presenting a faster way for the audience to understand the movie. In this paper, we propose a novel method to summarize a movie based on character network analysis and the appearance of protagonist and main characters in the movie. Experiments were carried out for 2 movies (Titanic (1997) and Frozen (2013)) to show that our method outperforms conventional approaches in terms of the movie summarization rate.
KeywordsMovie summarization Movie analysis Social network analysis Video summarization Movie character analysis
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (NRF-2014R1A2A2A05007154).
- 2.Bordwell D (2006) The way Hollywood tells it: story and style in modern movies. University of California PressGoogle Scholar
- 4.Cheng KY, Luo SJ, Chen BY, Chu HH (2009) Smartplayer: user-centric video fast-forwarding. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems. ACM, pp 789–798Google Scholar
- 7.Furini M, Ghini V (2006) An audio-video summarization scheme based on audio and video analysis. In: IEEE consumer communications and networking conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 15.Monaco J (1981) How to read a film: the art, technology, language, history and theory of film and media. Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- 20.Phillips MA, Huntley C (1996) Dramatica: a new theory of story. Screenplay SystemsGoogle Scholar
- 23.Sang J, Xu C (2010) Character-based movie summarization. In: Proceedings of the international conference on multimedia. ACM, pp 855–858Google Scholar
- 24.Sharff S (1982) The elements of cinema: toward a theory of cinesthetic impact. Columbia University PressGoogle Scholar
- 25.Tran QD, Jung JE (2015) Cocharnet: extracting social networks using character co-occurrence in movies. Universal Comput Sci 21(6):796–815Google Scholar