Automated classification of brain images using wavelet-energy and biogeography-based optimization
- 3.2k Downloads
It is very important to early detect abnormal brains, in order to save social and hospital resources. The wavelet-energy was a successful feature descriptor that achieved excellent performances in various applications; hence, we proposed a novel wavelet-energy based approach for automated classification of MR brain images as normal or abnormal. SVM was used as the classifier, and biogeography-based optimization (BBO) was introduced to optimize the weights of the SVM. The results based on a 5 × 5-fold cross validation showed the performance of the proposed BBO-KSVM was superior to BP-NN, KSVM, and PSO-KSVM in terms of sensitivity and accuracy. The study offered a new means to detect abnormal brains with excellent performance.
KeywordsClassification Pattern recognition Support vector machine Magnetic resonance imaging Biogeography-based optimization
This paper was supported by NSFC (610011024, 61273243, 51407095), Program of Natural Science Research of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (13KJB460011, 14KJB520021), Jiangsu Key Laboratory of 3D Printing Equipment and Manufacturing (BM2013006), Key Supporting Science and Technology Program (Industry) of Jiangsu Province (BE2012201, BE2014009-3, BE2013012-2), Special Funds for Scientific and Technological Achievement Transformation Project in Jiangsu Province (BA2013058), Nanjing Normal University Research Foundation for Talented Scholars (2013119XGQ0061, 2014119XGQ0080), and Science Research Foundation of Hunan Provincial Education Department (12B023).
Conflict of interest
We have no conflicts of interest to disclose with regard to the subject matter of this paper.
- 11.Fang L, Wu L, Zhang Y (2015) A novel demodulation system based on continuous wavelet transform. Math Probl Eng 2015:9Google Scholar
- 13.Guo DL et al. (2014) Improved Radio Frequency Identification Indoor Localization Method via Radial Basis Function Neural Network. Math Probl Eng. No. pp. 2014Google Scholar
- 22.Panchal MB, Mahapatra DR (2013) Influence of crack parameters on wavelet energy correlated damage index. Adv Vib Eng 12(3):311–318Google Scholar
- 23.Ramasamy R, Anandhakumar P (2011) Brain Tissue Classification of MR Images Using Fast Fourier Transform Based Expectation-Maximization Gaussian Mixture Model. in Advances in Computing and Information Technology, ed: Springer, pp. 387–398Google Scholar
- 31.Zhang Y et al (2013) An MR brain images classifier system via particle swarm optimization and kernel support vector machine. Sci World J 2013:9Google Scholar