Temperature Anomaly of Strength Properties in Deformed Magnesium Foil
- 42 Downloads
Experiments on megaplastic deformation of magnesium at room temperature by transverse extrusion and subsequent cold rolling are described. The microstructure and mechanical properties of a 120-μm thick magnesium foil with total true compressive strain e ~ 6.0 are studied. It is shown that low-temperature annealing increases the strength and ductility properties of the specimens. The detected abnormal growth in the yield strength is explained from the standpoint of thermally activated processes of rearrangement of the dislocation structure and locking of dislocations.
Key wordsmagnesium plastic deformation microstructure mechanical properties
The work has been performed within Sate Specification of the FASO of Russia (Topic “Deformation” No. 01201463327) and with partial support of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Project No. 15-17-2-11).
- 1.E. F. Emly, Fundamentals of the Production and Treatment of Magnesium Alloys [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1972), 192 p.Google Scholar
- 2.R. O. Kaibyshev and O. Sh. Sitdikov, “Structural changes in the process of plastic deformation of pure magnesium,” Fiz. Met. Metalloved., No. 6, 103 – 113 (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Yong Jiang, Ding Chen, and Z. Jiang, “Effect of cryogenic thermocycling treatment on the structure and properties of magnesium alloy AZ91,” Metalloved. Term. Obrab. Met., No. 12, 18 – 21 (2011).Google Scholar
- 4.D. P. Nugmanov and R. K. Islamgaliev, “Structure and mechanical properties of magnesium alloy AM60V after equal channel angular pressing and rolling,” Metalloved. Term. Obrab. Met., No. 1, 8 – 14 (2011).Google Scholar
- 6.A. M. Vlasova, B. A. Gringberg, M. A. Ivanov, et al., “Locking of (c + a)-dislocations in magnesium single crystals in the absence of external stress,” Deform. Razrush. Mater., No. 4, 10 – 14 (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.B. I. Kamenetskii, A. L. Sokolov, A. Yu. Volkov, O. V. Antonova, and I. V. Klyukin, “A method of fabrication of foil from magnesium, RF Patent 2563077,” Byull. Izobr. Polezn. Modeli, No. 26 (2015), priority 29.07.2014, publ. 20.09.2015.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Yu. Volkov, O. V. Antonova, B. I. Kametentskii, et al., “Fabrication, structure, texture and mechanical properties of strongly deformed magnesium specimens,” Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 117(5), 538 – 548 (2016).Google Scholar
- 15.B. A. Gringberg, M. A. Ivanov, O. V. Antonova, and A. M. Vlasova, “First observation of locking of dislocations in pure metal without external stress,” Kristallografiya, 57, 610 – 617 (2012).Google Scholar
- 16.B. A. Grinberg and M. A. Ivanov, “Strangeness of behavior of dislocations of a specific type: self-locking,” Deform. Razrush. Mater., No. 8, 2 – 26 (2015).Google Scholar