Draconids 2011: Outburst Observations by the Croatian Meteor Network
- 97 Downloads
The predicted Draconid meteor shower outburst during October 2011 had been observed by a portion of the Croatian Meteor Network whose stations encountered clear weather. A total of 95 Draconid orbits have been calculated from 18 contributing stations, and in this paper we present results for 63 orbits obtained from the fully automatic observation and processing pipeline. Two methods of trajectory estimation were applied, showing better fit results using a linearly changing velocity model versus a constant velocity model. The estimated mean radiant position has been found to be at RA = 262.6°, Dec = +55.7°, with estimated geocentric velocity Vg = 20.7 km/s.
KeywordsMeteors Meteoroids Draconids 2011
Our acknowledgments go to all members of the Croatian Meteor Network, in alphabetical order (given name first): Alan Pevec, Aleksandar Borojević, Aleksandar Merlak, Alen Žižak, Berislav Bračun, Dalibor Brdarić, Damir Matković, Damir Šegon, Dario Klarić, Dejan Kalebić, Denis Štogl, Denis Vida, Dorian Božičević, Filip Lolić, Filip Novoselnik, Gloryan Grabner, Goran Ljaljić, Ivica Ćiković, Ivica Pletikosa, Janko Mravik, Josip Belas, Korado Korlević, Krunoslav Vardijan, Luka Osokruš, Maja Crnić, Mark Sylvester, Mirjana Malarić, Reiner Stoos, Saša Švagelj, Sonja Janeković, Tomislav Sorić, Zvonko Prihoda, Željko Andreić, Željko Arnautović, Željko Krulić. This work was partially supported by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering, Višnjan Science and Education Center and by private funds of CMN members.
- Ž. Andreić, D. Šegon, The first year of Croatian Meteor Network, in Proceedings of the International Meteor Conference, Šachtička, Slovakia, 18–21 September 2008, ed. by S. Kaniansky, P. Zimnikoval (2008) pp. 16–23Google Scholar
- D.J. Asher, D.I. Steel, Draconid meteor storms, in Proceedings of the International Meteor Conference, Sibiu, Romania, 15–18 September 2011, ed. by M. Gyssens, P. Roggemans (2012) pp. 40–43Google Scholar
- J. Borovička, P. Koten, L. Shrbeny, R. Stork, K. Hornoch, Radiants, orbits, spectra, and deceleration of selected 2011 Draconids Network, in Proceedings of the International Meteor Conference, La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain, 20–23 September 2012, ed. by M. Gyssens, P. Roggemans (2013) pp. 65–69Google Scholar
- SAS Institute, Inc., SAS/STAT user’s guide (SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC, 1989)Google Scholar
- D. Šegon, Ž. Andreić, P.S. Gural, K. Korlević, D. Vida, F. Novoselnik, I. Skokić, Draconids 2011: outburst observations by the Croatian Meteor Network, in Proceedings of the International Meteor Conference, LaPalma, Canary Islands, Spain, 20–23 September 2012, ed. by M. Gyssens, P. Roggemans (2013) pp. 74–77Google Scholar
- J. Vaubaillon, M. Sato, D. Moser, W.J. Cooke, M. Maslov, E. Lyytinen, [IAUC] CBET, 2819 (2011b)Google Scholar