Analysis of variable sites between two complete South China tiger (Panthera tigris amoyensis) mitochondrial genomes
In order to investigate the mitochondrial genome of Panthera tigris amoyensis, two South China tigers (P25 and P27) were analyzed following 15 cymt-specific primer sets. The entire mtDNA sequence was found to be 16,957 bp and 17,001 bp long for P25 and P27 respectively, and this difference in length between P25 and P27 occurred in the number of tandem repeats in the RS-3 segment of the control region. The structural characteristics of complete P. t. amoyensis mitochondrial genomes were also highly similar to those of P. uncia. Additionally, the rate of point mutation was only 0.3% and a total of 59 variable sites between P25 and P27 were found. Out of the 59 variable sites, 6 were located in 6 different tRNA genes, 6 in the 2 rRNA genes, 7 in non-coding regions (one located between tRNA-Asn and tRNA-Tyr and six in the D-loop), and 40 in 10 protein-coding genes. COI held the largest amount of variable sites (9 sites) and Cytb contained the highest variable rate (0.7%) in the complete sequences. Moreover, out of the 40 variable sites located in 10 protein-coding genes, 12 sites were nonsynonymous.
KeywordsComplete mitochondrial genome Panthera tigris amoyensis Variable site
- 1.Tan B (1987) Status and problems of captive tigers in China. In: Tilson R, Seal U (eds) Tigers of the world: the biology biopolitics management and conservation of an endangered species. Noyes Publications, Park Ridge, pp 134–148Google Scholar
- 3.Yin YZ (2009) Studbook of the South China tiger. Chongqing Zoological Garden, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- 6.Luo S-J, Kim J-H, Johnson WE, Walt JVD, Martenson J, Yuhki N, Miquelle DG, Uphyrkina O, Goodrich JM, Quigley HB, Tilson R, Brady G, Martelli P, Subramaniam V, McDougal C, Hean S, Huang S-Q, Pan W-S, Karanth UK, Sunquist M, Smith JLD, O’Brien SJ (2004) Phylogeography and genetic ancestry of tigers (Panthera tigris). PLoS Biol 2(12):2275–2293CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Luo S-J, Kim J-H, Johnson WE, Miquelle DG, Huang S-Q, Pan W-S, Smith JLD, O’Brien SJ (2006) Proceeding in phylogeography and genetic ancestry of tigers (Panthera tigris) in China and across their range. Zool Res (China) 27(4):441–448Google Scholar
- 11.Sambrook J, Russell DW (2001) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar