TGB: the tobacco genetics and breeding database
- 625 Downloads
The germplasm of the genus Nicotiana contains more than 5,000 accessions and plays an important role in modern biological research. Tobacco can be used as a model system to develop methodologies for plant transformation and for investigating gene function. In order to develop the study of Nicotiana, a large quantity of data on germplasm, sequences, molecular markers and genetically modified tobacco was required for in-depth and systematic collation and research. It became necessary to establish a special database for tobacco genetics and breeding. The tobacco genetics and breeding (TGB, http://yancao.sdau.edu.cn/tgb) database was developed with the aim of bringing together tobacco genetics and breeding. The database has three main features: (1) a materials database with information on 1,472 Nicotiana germplasm accessions, as well as updated genomic and expressed sequence tag (EST) data available from the public database; (2) a molecular markers database containing a total of 12,388 potential intron polymorphisms 10,551 EST-simple sequence repeat (EST-SSR) and 66,297 genomic-SSR markers; and (3) an applications database with genetic maps and some genetically modified studies in tobacco. The TGB database also makes Basic Local Alignment Search Tool and primer designing tools publicly available. As far as can be ascertained, the TGB database is the first tobacco genetics and breeding database to be created, and all this comprehensive information will aid basic research into Nicotiana and other related plants. It will serve as an excellent resource for the online tobacco research community.
KeywordsTobacco Germplasm Molecular markers Genetics Breeding Database
Tobacco genetics and breeding
Expressed sequence tag
Basic Local Alignment Search Tool
Potential intron polymorphism
Simple sequence repeat
Quantitative trait loci
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 30900780), China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (No. 20090461260 & No. 201104647) and Special Funds for Postdoctoral Innovative Projects of Shandong Province (No. 201003030). The authors thank Dr. Jiajie Wu from the College of Agronomy, Shandong Agricultural University, for helpful suggestions on the manuscript.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Adetimirin VO, Vroh-Bi I, The C, Menkir A, Mitchell SE, Kresovich S (2008) Diversity analysis of elite maize inbred lines adapted to West and Central Africa using SSR markers. Maydica 53:143–149Google Scholar
- Day-Rubenstein K, Heisey P (2003) Plant genetic resources: new rules for international exchange. Amber Waves 1(3):23–29Google Scholar
- Denduangboripant J, Setaphan S, Suwanprasart W, Panha S (2010) Determination of local tobacco cultivars using ISSR molecular marker. Chiang Mai J Sci 37(2):293–303Google Scholar
- Ganapathi TR, Suprasanna P et al (2004) Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.)—a model system for tissue culture interventions and genetic engineering. Indian J Biotechnol 3:171–184Google Scholar
- Lewis RS (2011) Nicotiana. In: Kole C (ed) Wild crop relatives: genomic and breeding resources, plantation and ornamental crops. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Ren N, Timco MP (2001) AFLP analysis of genetic polymorphism and evolutionary relationships among cultivated and wild Nicotiana species. Genome Res 44:559–571Google Scholar
- Rhee SY, Beavis W, Berardini TZ, Chen G, Dixon D, Doyle A, Garcia-Hernandez M, Huala E, Lander G, Montoya M, Miller N, Mueller LA, Mundodi S, Reiser L, Tacklind J, Weems DC, Wu Y, Xu I, Yoo D, Yoon J, Zhang P (2003) The Arabidopsis Information Resource (TAIR): a model organism database providing a centralized, curated gateway to Arabidopsis biology, research materials and community. Nucleic Acids Res 31(1):224–228PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Upadhyaya HD, Gowda CLL, Sastry DVSSR (2008) Plant genetic resources management: collection, characterization, conservation and utilization. Int Crops Res Inst Semi-Arid Trop 6:1–16Google Scholar
- Zhang XZ, Kong FS, Yang MK (1990) A design scheme for a database system of crop germplasm resources. Sci Agric Sin 23:79–87Google Scholar