What is Bioethics?
- 346 Downloads
Belkin, G.: 2014, Death Before Dying: History, Medicine, and Brain Death. USA: Oxford University Press, 288 pages, ISBN-13: 978-0199898176, price: 57 USD.
Ferber, S.: 2013, Bioethics in Historical Perspective: Medicine and Social Morality. UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 248 pages, ISBN-13: 978-1403987242, price: 27 USD.
Wilson, D.: 2014, The Making of British Bioethics. Manchester, UK. Manchester University Press, 288 pages, ISBN-13: 978-0719096198, price: 50 USD.
As Powers (2005, p. 306) points out, what bioethics might be, and the methods with which it is pursued, remain relatively undefined and highly diverse. We might also think similarly about ‘ethics’; what it might be and how it ought to be done is subject to a wide degree of interpretation. Certainly, there are a number of (related) dominant approaches—formal ethics, philosophical, practical or applied ethics—there are also a number of other, relatively mainstream, approaches common to the field of bioethics—casuistry, principlism,...
- Anderson, A. 2005. The way we argue now: A study in the cultures of theory. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Belkin, G. 2014. Death before dying: History, medicine, and brain death. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Collin, R. 2000. Reflexivity and social embeddedness in the history of ethical philosophies. In The Sociology of Philosophical Knowledge. The New Syntheses Historical Library, ed. M. Kusch, Vol. 48, 155–178. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Ferber, S. 2013. Bioethics in historical perspective: Medicine and social morality. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Latour, B. 2011. On the modern cult of the factish gods. Durham: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Savulescu, J. 2015. Bioethics: Why philosophy is essential for progress. Journal of Medical Ethics 41(1): 28–33.Google Scholar
- Wilson, D. 2014. The making of British bioethics. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Wilson, D. 2012. What can history do for bioethics? Bioethics 27(3): 215–223.Google Scholar