Scientific authorship and intellectual involvement in the research: Should they coincide?
- First Online:
- 276 Downloads
An update of the widely acknowledged recommendations on how to handle authorship in research, issued by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), was issued in August, 2013. While the revised recommendations contain several clarifications compared to earlier versions, one arguably important aspect is still not addressed: the relationship between authorship and intellectual involvement in research. In this paper, it is argued that the ICMJE authorship criteria are flawed in this respect: they do not explicitly require of authors of scientific papers that they do research. It is further suggested that unless academic authorship clearly reflects to what extent individual researchers have been intellectually involved in the research and to what extent they have merely contributed with research-related work, they will, in many cases, be misleading about research merits.
KeywordsAuthorship Ethics Intellectual involvement Research
- BMJ. 2014. Authorship & contributorship. http://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resources-authors/article-submission/authorship-contributorship Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Borry, P., P. Schotsmans, and K. Dierickx. 2006. Author, contributor or just a signer? A quantitative analysis of authorship trends in the field of bioethics, Bioethics 20: 213–220.Google Scholar
- Helgesson, G. 2011. Co-authorship in research publications. In Neither/Nor. Uppsala Philosophical Studies eds Sliwinski R and Svensson F, 58:101–114.Google Scholar
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE). 2013. Recommendations for the conduct, reporting, editing, and publication of scholarly work in medical journals. Updated December, 2013. Available at http://www.icmje.org Accessed May 12, 2014.
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE). 2010. Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals: writing and editing for biomedical publication. Available at http://www.icmje.org/urm_full.pdf Accessed January 30, 2014.
- Karolinska Institutet. 2013. Bibliometrics at Karolinska Institutet. Available at http://kib.ki.se/en/node/45706 Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Shamoo, A.E., and D.B. Resnik. 2003. Responsible conduct of research. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Weijer, C., and A. Akabayashi. 2003. Unethical author attribution. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 12: 124–130.Google Scholar