Using non-human primates to benefit humans: research and organ transplantation
Emerging biotechnology may soon allow the creation of genetically human organs inside animals, with non-human primates (henceforth simply “primates”) and pigs being the best candidate species. This prospect raises the question of whether creating organs in primates in order to then transplant them into humans would be more (or less) acceptable than using them for research. In this paper, we examine the validity of the purported moral distinction between primates and other animals, and analyze the ethical acceptability of using primates to create organs for human use.
KeywordsPrimates Research Xenotransplantation Personalized organs IPS cells Chimeras Hybrids Regenerative medicine Stem cells
- Edelman, D., C. Koch, and P. Low, 2012. Cambridge declaration on consciousness.Google Scholar
- European Commission Scientific Committee on Health and Environmental Risks (SCHER). 2009. http://ec.europa.eu/health/opinions/en/non-human-primates/#7.
- Glendinning, L. Spanish parliament approves ‘human rights’ for apes http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jun/26/humanrights.animalwelfare 26.6.08.
- McMahan, J. 2003. The ethics of killing: Problems at the margins of life. Oxford: Oxford University Pres.Google Scholar
- National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research. 2013. What are the 3Rs? http://www.nc3rs.org.uk/page.asp?id=7.
- Nuffield Council on Bioethics. 2005. The ethic of involving animals in research. http://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/animal-research.
- Shaw, D. 2014. Creating chimeras for organs is legal in Switzerland. Bioethica Forum 14(1).Google Scholar
- Singer, P. Practical ethics. 1993. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 87 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159109000392.
- Singer, P. Heavy petting. Nerve. 2001. Available at: http://www.utilitarianism.net/singer/by/2001----.htm.
- Welcome Trust/MRC. Review of Research Using Non-Human Primates. 2006. http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/stellent/groups/corporatesite/@policy_communications/documents/web_document/wtvm052279.pdf.
- Wikipedia editors. Animal testing on non-human primates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_testing_on_non-human_primates.
- Wurbel, H. 2009. Ethology applied to animal ethics. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 118(3–4):118–127. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159109000392.