Technology for Preparing Calcium Fluoride from Aluminum Production Waste
Aluminum production is accompanied by production of fluorine-containing solid waste. Every year in the Bratsk Aluminum Plant 40000 tons of this waste is produced with a high fluorine and carbon content. Technology for producing calcium fluoride is developed in order to regenerate fluorine. Optimum conditions are studied and determined for leaching fluorine from aluminum electrolysis production waste. Conditions are determined necessary for regenerating sodium fluoride solution with which synthetic calcium fluoride is obtained suitable for use as an additive to electrolyte in aluminum production.
Keywordsaluminum production hydrogen fluoride cryolite calcium fluoride regeneration solid waste leaching
- 1.V. Yu. Bazhin, “Metallurgical waste as an alternative mineral resource,” Proc. 3rd. Int. Sci.-Tech Conf. Metallurgy of Light and Refractory Metals, Ekaterinburg (2014), pp. 96–100.Google Scholar
- 2.R. K. Patrin, V. M. Sizyakov, and V. Yu. Bazhin, “Prospects for pyrometallurgical treatment of technogenic waste of the aluminum industry,” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Tsvet. Met., No. 6, 61–63 (2013).Google Scholar
- 3.G. V. Galevskii, N. M. Kulagin, M. Ya. Mintsis, and G. A. Serazutdinov, Aluminum Metallurgy: Technology. Electrical Supply, Automation, Flinta Nauka, Moscow (2008), 3rd. ed.Google Scholar
- 4.A. D. Afanas’ev, A. E. Rzhechinskii, E. P. Rzhechinskii, et al., Patent 2429198 RF, IPC C01F7/54, “Method for processing solid fluorocarbon-containing waste of aluminum electrolysis production,” subm. 03.19.2010, publ. 09.20.2011.Google Scholar
- 5.S. I. Nozhko, A. V. Morenko, L. V. Gavrilenko, and V. V. Somov, “Study of kinetics for regeneration of gas cleaning solutions of aluminum electrolyzers by calcium compounds,” Ekol. Prom. Rossii, No. 12, 11–13 (2010).Google Scholar