Meaning and Medicine in a New Key: Trauma, Disability, and Embodied Discourse Through Cross-Cultural Narrative Modes
In volume 34 of Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry, the featured Quote of the Volume (v 34, 2010) came from Sigmund Freud. In The Interpretation of Dreams, Freud writes, “creative writers are valuable allies and their evidence is to be prized highly, for they are apt to know of a whole host of things between heaven and earth of which our philosophy has not yet let us dream. In their knowledge of the mind, they are far in advance of us everyday people” (1962, p. 8). The Journal has, since the Editor-in-Chief took the reins, striven for greater inclusivity, and a greater understanding of the power of cultural construction and narrative. We emphasize that, as EE Evans-Pritchard noted in another of CMP’s Quote of the Volume (CMP Volume 33, 2009), social systems are moral, not natural systems. That is, we study “societies as moral, or symbolic systems and not as natural systems, … (we) are less interested in process than in design, and that (anthropology) therefore seeks patterns and not...
- Aull, Felice 2013, (orig) 1993 Mission Statement, Medical Humanities. New York: University School of Medicine. Elecronic document, http://medhum.med.nyu.edu/index.html. Accessed 5 Apr 2013.
- Evans-Pritchard, Edward Evan 1962, (orig) 1948 Later Developments. In Social Anthropology and Other Essays. E.E. Evans Pritchard, ed. Glencoe, IL: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Freud, Sigmund 1962 Delusion and Dream in Jensen’s Gradiva. In The Interpretation of Dreams. The Standard Edition of the Complete Works of Sigmund Freud. James Strachey, trans. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Gaines, Atwood D. 1999 Enchantment, Disenchantment and Estrangement: “Race” and the Variety of Western Selves. Paper presented at the Society for Psychological Anthropology Meeting. Sept. 24. Albuquerque, NM.Google Scholar
- Geertz, Clifford 1973 The Interpretation of Cultures. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Good, Byron J. 1994 Medicine, Rationality, and Experience. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Kleinman, Arthur 1988 The Illness Narratives. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar