Limit analysis of masonry structures with free discontinuities
- 260 Downloads
We formulate a novel procedure for the limit analysis of two-dimensional masonry structures subject to arbitrary loading conditions. The proposed approach works in the framework of free discontinuity methods, on examining collapse mechanisms that exhibit free crack opening discontinuities. The load bearing capacity and the collapse mechanism of the structure are obtained through a fully variational approach, by minimizing a kinetic functional that admits the collapse crack pattern as a variable. Numerical examples illustrate the practical application of the proposed procedure to the limit analysis of a variety of masonry walls and arches subject to foundation settlements, vertical and horizontal forces.
KeywordsMasonry structures Load bearing capacity Limit analysis Kinematic collapse multiplier Free discontinuities
The authors wish to thank Antonino Iannuzzo from the Department of Structures for Engineering and Architecture of the University of Naples ‘Federico II” for his helpful assistance with the numerical results presented in Sect. 6.1.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest to report.
- 3.Di Pasquale S (1984) Statica dei solidi murari. Atti Dipartimento Costruzioni. University of Firenze, Florence, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- 5.Baratta A, Toscano R (1982) Stati tensionali in pannelli di materiale non resistente a trazione. In: Proceedings VI AIMETA Congress, GenovaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Angelillo M (ed) (2014) Mechanics of masonry structures. Series: CISM International Centre for Mechanical Sciences, vol 551. Spriger-verlag, WienGoogle Scholar
- 17.Block P, Ochsendorf J (2007) Thrust network analysis: a new methodology for three-dimensional equilibrium. J Int Assoc Shell Spat Struct 48(3):167–173Google Scholar
- 22.Chiozzi A, Milani G, Tralli A (2016) Fast kinematic limit analysis of FRP reinforced masonry vaults through a new genetic algorithm Nurbs-based approach. In: Proceedings of the ECCOMAS congress 2016, Crete, Greece, 05–10 JuneGoogle Scholar
- 25.European Committee for Standardization (2014) Eurocode 8: design of structures for earthquake resistance. Part 1: general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings. EN 1998-1:2004, Brussels, BelgiumGoogle Scholar
- 27.Lang AF, Benzoni G (2014) Modeling of nonlinear behavior of confined masonry using discrete elements. In: NCEE 2014—10th U.S. national conference on earthquake engineering: frontiers of earthquake engineeringGoogle Scholar