Threshold fracture energy in solid particle erosion: improved estimate for a rigid indenter impacting an elastic medium
- 160 Downloads
The case of a single erosion impact is considered. The paper improves and extends the results from Argatov and Mishuris (Philos Mag 93:2485, 2013), where a lower bound for the threshold fracture energy of a rigid axisymmetric indenter was obtained based on the notion of incubation time prior to fracture. In the presented study we define an exact value for the initial energy required for fracture initiation and compare it with previous results. The incubation time based fracture criterion is utilized in order to locate the time of the initial fracture, along with the associated radial position. A brief examination of the effects of different particle parameters on the initial fracture is conducted.
KeywordsErosion Incubation time Threshold fracture energy Blunt impact
Yu.P. acknowledges Saint-Petersburg State University for research grants 18.104.22.1684 and 6.39.319.2014. G.M. and D.P. gratefully acknowledge the support of the European Union Seventh Framework Marie Curie Programme PARM-2 (project reference: PIAP-GA-2012-284544-PARM2), and M.W. acknowledges the European Union FP7 project INTERCER2 (reference: PIAP-GA-2011-286110-INTERCER2). All authors would like to thank Prof. I. Argatov and Prof. S. Mikhailov for their useful discussions and insightful comments.
- 1.Melosh HJ (1989) Impact cratering. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.Neal-Sturgess CE (2008) A direct derivation of the Griffith–Irwin relationship using a crack tip unloading stress wave model. arXiv:0810.2218
- 15.Petrov Y (2012) Incubation time based fracture mechanics. In: 19th European conference on fracture; fracture mechanics for durabilityGoogle Scholar
- 18.Argatov II, Dmitriev NN, Petrov YuV, Smirnov VI (2009) Threshold erosion fracture in the case of oblique incidence. J Frict Wear 30:245–253Google Scholar
- 25.Shtaerman IY (1939) On the Hertz theory of local deformations resulting from the pressure of elastic solids. Doklady Akad Nauk SSSR 25:360 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 26.Kilchevsky NA (1969) The theory of solid bodies collision. Naukova Dumka, Kiev (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 34.Petrov YuV, Smirnov VI (2010) Interrelation between the threshold characteristics of erosion and spall fracture. Tech Phys 55:23Google Scholar