Current state of knowledge of hepatic encephalopathy (Part V): clinical efficacy of L-ornithine-L-aspartate in the management of HE
In cirrhotic patients with portosystemic encephalopathy, OA has confirmed its efficacy both in uncontrolled clinical trials and more recently in placebo-controlled double-blind studies in patients with manifest hepatic encephalopathy and hyperammonemia. OA improved performance in Psyhometric Tests as well as mental state gradation. The therapy had little side effects, increasing with higher intravenously administered dosages, and was well tolerated after oral and parenteral administration.
KeywordsHepatic encephalopathy Artificial liver support L-Ornithine L-Aspartate: treatment of hepatic encephalopathy Hyperammonemia
The authors would like to express thanks to Prof. Kevin Mullen help and advice in the production of this manuscript.
- Abdo-Francis JM, Pérez-Hernández JL, Hinojosa-Ruiz A, Hernández-Vásquez JR (2010) Reduction in hospital stay with the use of L-ornithine-L-aspartate (LOLA) in patients with hepatic encephalopathy. Revista de Gastroenterología de México 2: 135−141Google Scholar
- Fleig WE, Kircheis G, Spengler U, Zeuzem ST, Görtelmeyer R, The German-Austrian-Swiss Multicenter Study Group (1999) Placebo-controlled, double-blind evaluation of L-ornithine–L-aspartate (LOLA) granules in patients with cirrhosis and subclinical (SHE) or mild overt hepatic encephalopathy (HE). J Hepatol 30 (Suppl. 1):65 (abstract)Google Scholar
- Kircheis G, Metz M, Frey S, Seiller E (1996) Correlation between pharmacokinetic aspects and clinical efficacy of L-ornithine–L-aspartate (OA): results of randomized, controlled clinical trials. J Hepatol 25:131 (abstract)Google Scholar
- McPhail MJ, Leech R, Grover VP, Fitzpatrick JA, Dhanjal NS, Crossey MM, Pflugrad H, Saxby BK, Wesnes K, Dresner MA, Waldman AD, Thomas HC, Taylor-Robinson SD (2013) Modulation of neural activation following treatment of hepatic encephalopathy. Neurology 80:1041–1047CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Reynolds N, Downie S, Smith K, Kircheis G, Rennie MJ (1999) Treatment with L-ornithine–L-aspartate infusion restores muscle protein synthesis responsiveness to feeding in patients with cirrhosis. J Hepatol 30(Suppl.1):65 (abstract)Google Scholar