Stimulation role of epinephrine in transcription of the melatonin synthesis key enzyme AANAT in the pineal gland of broilers
- 146 Downloads
Melatonin is a crucial neurohormone synthesized in the pineal gland that influences the physiology of animals. The molecular mechanism of norepinephrine control of the synthesis of melatonin is well documented; however, few reports have described the effects of epinephrine on the synthesis of melatonin. In this study, the effect of epinephrine on melatonin synthesis was investigated by adding different concentrations of epinephrine or norepinephrine to broiler pineal glands cultured in vitro. In addition, we investigated how epinephrine regulates the synthesis of melatonin and the transcription of the key melatonin synthesis enzyme AANAT. We determined the abundance of melatonin, norepinephrine, and epinephrine in broiler serum and the mRNA expression levels of key enzymes under different light conditions. The minimum concentrations of epinephrine and norepinephrine required to recover the melatonin synthesis rhythm in pineal cells were 10−13 and 10−11 mol/L, respectively. Under various light durations, epinephrine reached maximum levels two hours earlier than melatonin. These results demonstrate for the first time that epinephrine can increase the synthesis of melatonin by increasing the transcription of AANAT.
KeywordsMelatonin (MLT) Epinephrine (E) AANAT Pineal gland Broilers
The Scientific and Technological Research Project in Henan Province (Grant Nos. 162102210297 and 172102110034), Major Scientific and Technological Project in Henan Province (Grant No. 141100110800), and Key Research Projects of Higher Education in Henan Province (Grant No. 17A230011) supported this work.
JL participated in conceiving and designing the study. YW performed most of the experiments, analyzed the data, and wrote the manuscript. ZZ, HG, PL, and QL participated in several of the experiments. All the authors discussed and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 1.Munch M, Schmieder M, Bieler K, Goldbach R, Fuhrmann T, Zumstein N, Vonmoos P, Scartezzini JL, Wirz-Justice A, Cajochen C (2017) Bright light delights: effects of daily light exposure on emotions, rest-activity cycles, sleep and melatonin secretion in severely demented patients. Curr Alzheimer Res 14:1063–1075. https://doi.org/10.2174/1567205014666170523092858 Google Scholar
- 9.Zatz M, Gastel JA, Heath JR, Klein DC (2000) Chick Pineal Melatonin Synthesiss : light and cyclic AMP control abundance of serotonin N-acetyltransferase protein. J Neurochem 74(6):2315–2321. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1471-4159.2000.0742315.x Google Scholar
- 12.Vaudry D, Gonzalez BJ, Basille M, Yon L, Fournier A, Vaudry H (2000) Pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide and its receptors: from structure to functions. Pharmacol Rev 52(2):269–324Google Scholar
- 13.Albarran MT, Lopez-Burillo S, Pablos MI, Reiter RJ, Agapito MT (2001) Endogenous rhythms of melatonin, total antioxidant status and superoxide dismutase activity in several tissues of chick and their inhibition by light. J Pineal Res 30(4):227–233. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-079x.2001.300406.x Google Scholar
- 14.Claudia C, Lucia F, Estela M, Morten M, Lilian P (2008) Daily rhythms of norepinephrine, β1-adrenoceptor mRNA, serotonin, arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase mRNA, arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase and hydroxyindol-O-methyltransferase activities, and melatonin in the pineal gland of viscacha. Biol Rhythm Res 39(2):93–107. https://doi.org/10.1080/09291010701324715 Google Scholar
- 16.Peliciari-Garcia RA, Andrade-Silva J, Cipolla-Neto J, Carvalho CR (2013) Leptin modulates norepinephrine-mediated melatonin synthesis in cultured rat pineal gland. Biomed Res Int 2013:546516. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/546516
- 18.Rohde K, Rovsing L, Ho AK, Moller M, Rath MF (2014) Circadian dynamics of the cone-rod homeobox (CRX) transcription factor in the rat pineal gland and its role in regulation of arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase (AANAT). Endocrinol 155 (8):2966–2975. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2014-1232 Google Scholar
- 20.Shahrokhian S, Ghalkhani M, Amini MK (2009) Application of carbon-paste electrode modified with iron phthalocyanine for voltammetric determination of epinephrine in the presence of ascorbic acid and uric acid. Sens Actuators B: Chem 137(2):669–675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2009.01.022 Google Scholar