Leptin receptor gene (A/G) polymorphism rs1137101 and renal cell carcinoma
- 191 Downloads
Leptin plays an important role in carcinogenesis as leptin/leptin receptor signaling promotes the angiogenesis, proliferation, and inhibits epithelial cell apoptosis. Variants in the leptin receptor gene have potential associations with renal cell carcinoma (RCC). We aimed to investigate association of rs1137101 (A/G) polymorphism at LEPR gene with risk of RCC and patients survival. 123 individuals were classified into group I: 73 RCC patients and group II: 50 healthy controls. Genotyping of the Gln223Arg (A/G) polymorphism rs1137101 at LEPR gene was analyzed using allelic discrimination assay by Real-Time PCR technique. GG genotype was the most frequent among RCC patients (67.1%), while AA genotype was the most frequent in controls (60%); (p < 0.001). By univariate cox regression: gene polymorphism (GG versus GA +AA), stage, histopathologic subtype, and grade were found to affect survival significantly; however, the multivariate analysis showed that only gene polymorphism (GG versus GA +AA) and tumor stage significantly affect survival. LEPR gene variants rs1137101 might be a candidate risk factor for RCC in Egypt. GG genotype is associated with more aggressive tumor behavior and shorter survival compared with GA & AA genotypes so, genotyping of Gln223Arg (A/G) rs1137101 could also predict RCC outcome.
KeywordsGene Leptin Polymorphism Receptor
We acknowledge all patients and controls participated in the current study, also many thanks to DR. Eman Abd Al-Fattah (Central Laboratory Manager) and all members of central laboratory at faculty of medicine, menaufia University for facilitating real-time PCR step.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 4.Ghosn M, Jaloudi M, Larbaoui B et al (2015) Insights into the epidemiology of renal cell carcinoma in North Africa and the Middle East Pan Arab. J Oncol 8(2):38–43Google Scholar
- 20.Motzer RJ, Jonasch E, Bhyani S et al (2018): NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology (NCCN guidelines) kidney cancer version 2.2018Google Scholar
- 22.Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC et al (eds) (2012) The American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) cancer staging manual, 7th edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ogawa T, Hirose H, Yamamoto Y, Nishikai K, Miyashita K, Nakamura H et al (2004) Relationships between serum soluble leptin receptor level and serum leptin and adiponectin levels, insulin resistance index, lipid profile, and leptin receptor gene polymorphisms in the Japanese population. Metabolism 53:879–885CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Anuradha C, Madanranjit P, Surekha D, Raghunadharao D et al (2012) association of leptin receptor (LEPR) Q223R polymorphism with breast cancer. Glob J Med Res 12:1–11Google Scholar