Comprehensive bioinformation analysis of the miRNA of PLCE1 knockdown in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma
Phospholipase C epsilon 1 (PLCE1) has been recognized as a novel susceptibility marker for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC). The purpose of our study is to investigate its effect on the regulation of miRNA expression so as to translating the data into a novel strategy in control of ESCC. In this study, PLCE1 siRNA and vector-only plasmid were stably transfected into Eca109 and EC9706 cells and then subjected to miRNA array analysis, and quantitative real-time PCR was applied to validate miRNA array data. Then bioinformatic analyses, such as GO and pathway software, were conducted to obtain data on these differentially expressed miRNAs-targeted genes (DEGs) and clarify their function and pathway. The results showed that 36 miRNAs were found to be differentially expressed in PLCE1 siRNA-transfected cells compared with the control cells. In particular, 28 miRNAs were upregulated while 8 miRNAs were downregulated. Gene Ontology analysis showed that the function of the DEGs included cell cycle arrest, cell–matrix adhesion, apoptosis, etc. After this, the major pathways associated with the DEGs were regulation of actin cytoskeleton, TGF-beta signaling pathway, Notch signaling pathway and so on. Taken together, these results showed that the knockdown of PLCE1 may play a vital role in the control of ESCC. Further investigation will reveal and verify the function and pathway of the DEGs for the development of novel treatment strategy for the better control of ESCC.
KeywordsEsophageal squamous cell carcinoma PLCE1 gene miRNA array analysis Bioinformatics analysis
This work was supported by Grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 81560399, 81773116, 81360358, 81460362, 81760436), the Major science and technology projects of Shihezi University (No. gxjs2014 zdgg06), the Applied Basic Research Projects of Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps (No. 2016AG020), the high level talent project of Shihezi University (No. RCZX201533), and the Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars of Shihezi University (No. 2015ZRKXJQ02).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declared that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Han B, Li W, Sun Y, Zhou L, Xu Y, Zhao X (2014) A prolyl-hydroxylase inhibitor, ethyl-3,4-dihydroxybenzoate, induces cell autophagy and apoptosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma cells via up-regulation of BNIP3 and N-myc downstream-regulated gene-1. PLoS ONE 9(9):e107204. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0107204 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Cui XB, Li S, Li TT, Peng H, Jin TT, Zhang SM, Liu CX, Yang L, Shen YY, Li SG, Li N, Li Y, Hu JM, Jiang JF, Suo J, Qi Y, Liang WH, Wang LH, Dang HW, Li L, Cao WW, Wei Y, Laibo Y, Wu CY, Yuan XL, Zhou H, Zheng Y, Chen YZ, Li F (2016) Targeting oncogenic PLCE1 by miR-145 impairs tumor proliferation and metastasis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncotarget 7(2):1777–1795. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.6499 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wang LD, Zhou FY, Li XM, Sun LD, Song X, Jin Y, Li JM, Kong GQ, Qi H, Cui J, Zhang LQ, Yang JZ, Li JL, Li XC, Ren JL, Liu ZC, Gao WJ, Yuan L, Wei W, Zhang YR, Wang WP, Sheyhidin I, Li F, Chen BP, Ren SW, Liu B, Li D, Ku JW, Fan ZM, Zhou SL, Guo ZG, Zhao XK, Liu N, Ai YH, Shen FF, Cui WY, Song S, Guo T, Huang J, Yuan C, Huang J, Wu Y, Yue WB, Feng CW, Li HL, Wang Y, Tian JY, Lu Y, Yuan Y, Zhu WL, Liu M, Fu WJ, Yang X, Wang HJ, Han SL, Chen J, Han M, Wang HY, Zhang P, Li XM, Dong JC, Xing GL, Wang R, Guo M, Chang ZW, Liu HL, Guo L, Yuan ZQ, Liu H, Lu Q, Yang LQ, Zhu FG, Yang XF, Feng XS, Wang Z, Li Y, Gao SG, Qige Q, Bai LT, Yang WJ, Lei GY, Shen ZY, Chen LQ, Li EM, Xu LY, Wu ZY, Cao WK, Wang JP, Bao ZQ, Chen JL, Ding GC, Zhuang X, Zhou YF, Zheng HF, Zhang Z, Zuo XB, Dong ZM, Fan DM, He X, Wang J, Zhou Q, Zhang QX, Jiao XY, Lian SY, Ji AF, Lu XM, Wang JS, Chang FB, Lu CD, Chen ZG, Miao JJ, Fan ZL, Lin RB, Liu TJ, Wei JC, Kong QP, Lan Y, Fan YJ, Gao FS, Wang TY, Xie D, Chen SQ, Yang WC, Hong JY, Wang L, Qiu SL, Cai ZM, Zhang XJ (2010) Genome-wide association study of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Chinese subjects identifies susceptibility loci at PLCE1 and C20orf54. Nat Genet 42(9):759–763. doi: 10.1038/ng.648 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Oka M, Edamatsu H, Kunisada M, Hu L, Takenaka N, Dien S, Sakaguchi M, Kitazawa R, Norose K, Kataoka T, Nishigori C (2010) Enhancement of ultraviolet B-induced skin tumor development in phospholipase Cepsilon-knockout mice is associated with decreased cell death. Carcinogenesis 31(10):1897–1902. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgq164 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Yu S, Wu F, Guo K, Shao Q, Tao H (2014) Expression of phospholipase C epsilon-1 in gastric cancer and its association with prognosis. J Gastrointest Surg 17(4):378–382Google Scholar
- 8.Liu X, Zhang X, Wang Z, Chang J, Wu Z, Zhang Z, Wang S, Li J (2014) Genetic polymorphism of the phospholipase C epsilon 1 gene and risk of gastric cancer. Chin Med J (Engl) 127(13):2511–2517Google Scholar
- 12.Ma H, Wang LE, Liu Z, Sturgis EM, Wei Q (2011) Association between novel PLCE1 variants identified in published esophageal cancer genome-wide association studies and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. BMC Cancer 11:258. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-11-258 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Li WQ, Hu N, Burton VH, Yang HH, Su H, Conway CM, Wang L, Wang C, Ding T, Xu Y, Giffen C, Abnet CC, Goldstein AM, Hewitt SM, Taylor PR (2014) PLCE1 mRNA and protein expression and survival of patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma and gastric adenocarcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 23(8):1579–1588. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.epi-13-1329 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Chen YZ, Cui XB, Hu JM, Zhang WJ, Li SG, Yang L, Shen XH, Liu CX, Pan QF, Yu SY, Yuan XL, Yang L, Gu WY, Chen JZ, Wang LD, Li F (2013) Overexpression of PLCE1 in Kazakh esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: implications in cancer metastasis and aggressiveness. Apmis 121(10):908–918. doi: 10.1111/apm.12095 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hu H, Yang J, Sun Y, Yang Y, Qian J, Jin L, Wang M, Bi R, Zhang R, Zhu M, Sun M, Ma H, Wei Q, Jiang G, Zhou X, Chen H (2012) Putatively functional PLCE1 variants and susceptibility to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC): a case-control study in eastern Chinese populations. Ann Surg Oncol 19(7):2403–2410. doi: 10.1245/s10434-011-2160-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kovarikova A, Hezova R, Srovnal J, Redova-Lojova M, Slaby O (2014) The role of microRNAs in molecular pathology of esophageal cancer and their potential usage in clinical oncology. Clin Oncol 27(2):87–96Google Scholar
- 26.Tanaka K, Miyata H, Sugimura K, Fukuda S, Kanemura T, Yamashita K, Miyazaki Y, Takahashi T, Kurokawa Y, Yamasaki M, Wada H, Nakajima K, Takiguchi S, Mori M, Doki Y (2015) miR-27 is associated with chemoresistance in esophageal cancer through transformation of normal fibroblasts to cancer-associated fibroblasts. Carcinogenesis 36(8):894–903. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgv067 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Cui XB, Pang XL, Li S, Jin J, Hu JM, Yang L, Liu CX, Li L, Wen SJ, Liang WH, Chen YZ, Li F (2014) Elevated expression patterns and tight correlation of the PLCE1 and NF-κB signaling in Kazakh patients with esophageal carcinoma. Med Oncol (Northwood, Lond, Engl) 31(1):791. doi: 10.1007/s12032-013-0791-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Park JK, Henry JC, Jiang J, Esau C, Gusev Y, Lerner MR, Postier RG, Brackett DJ, Schmittgen TD (2011) miR-132 and miR-212 are increased in pancreatic cancer and target the retinoblastoma tumor suppressor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 406(4):518–523. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2011.02.065 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 42.Zhu C, Qin YR, Xie D, Chua DT, Fung JM, Chen L, Fu L, Hu L, Guan XY (2009) Characterization of tumor suppressive function of P300/CBP-associated factor at frequently deleted region 3p24 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncogene 28(31):2821–2828. doi: 10.1038/onc.2009.137 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Cui XB, Zhang SM, Xu YX, Dang HW, Liu CX, Wang LH, Yang L, Hu JM, Liang WH, Jiang JF, Li N, Li Y, Chen YZ, Li F (2016) PFN2, a novel marker of unfavorable prognosis, is a potential therapeutic target involved in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Transl Med 14(1):137. doi: 10.1186/s12967-016-0884-y CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 53.Huber MA, Azoitei N, Baumann B, Grunert S, Sommer A, Pehamberger H, Kraut N, Beug H, Wirth T (2004) NF-kappaB is essential for epithelial-mesenchymal transition and metastasis in a model of breast cancer progression. J Clin Investig 114(4):569–581. doi: 10.1172/jci21358 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar