miR-143 suppresses osteogenic differentiation by targeting Osterix
- 691 Downloads
Osterix (Osx) is an essential transcription factor for osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. However, the knowledge of the regulation of Osx expression is poor. MicroRNAs (miRNAs), a class of small non-coding RNAs, play critical roles in numerous biological processes, including the proliferation, differentiation, and survival of cells and organisms. Herein, we aimed to explore the effect of miR-143 on Osx expression and osteogenic differentiation. miR-143, which was suppressor of the osteogenic differentiation of MC3T3-E1 cells, had decreased levels of expression during osteogenic differentiation. Moreover, Osx was identified to be a direct target of miR-143. Inhibition of Osx performed similar effect with miR-143 on osteogenic differentiation, while overexpression of Osx could partially reverse the suppressive effect of miR-143. Collectively, these data indicate that miR-143 is a novel regulator of Osx, and it might play an essential role in the regulation of osteogenic differentiation.
KeywordsmiR-143 Osteogenesis Differentiation Osterix
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Mathieu PS, Loboa EG (2012) Cytoskeletal and focal adhesion influences on mesenchymal stem cell shape, mechanical properties, and differentiation down osteogenic, adipogenic, and chondrogenic pathways. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 18:436–444. doi: 10.1089/ten.TEB 2012.0014PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ulrich C, Rolauffs B, Abele H, Bonin M, Nieselt K, Hart ML, Aicher WK (2013) Low osteogenic differentiation potential of placenta-derived mesenchymal stromal cells correlates with low expression of the transcription factors Runx2 and Twist2. Stem Cells Dev. doi: 10.1089/scd.2012.0693 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Trompeter HI, Dreesen J, Hermann E, Iwaniuk KM, Hafner M, Renwick N, Tuschl T, Wernet P (2013) MicroRNAs miR-26a, miR-26b, and miR-29b accelerate osteogenic differentiation of unrestricted somatic stem cells from human cord blood. BMC Genom 14:111. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-14-111 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wang X, Guo B, Li Q, Peng J, Yang Z, Wang A, Li D, Hou Z, Lv K, Kan G, Cao H, Wu H, Song J, Pan X, Sun Q, Ling S, Li Y, Zhu M, Zhang P, Peng S, Xie X, Tang T, Hong A, Bian Z, Bai Y, Lu A, Li Y, He F, Zhang G, Li Y (2013) miR-214 targets ATF4 to inhibit bone formation. Nat Med 19:93–100. doi: 10.1038/nm.3026 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ma Q, Jiang Q, Pu Q, Zhang X, Yang W, Wang Y, Ye S, Wu S, Zhong G, Ren J, Zhang Y, Liu L, Zhu W (2013) MicroRNA-143 inhibits migration and invasion of Human Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer and its relative mechanism. Int J Biol Sci 9:680–692. doi: 10.7150/ijbs.6623 PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Mendez JP, Rojano-Mejia D, Coral-Vazquez RM, Coronel A, Pedraza J, Casas MJ, Soriano R, Garcia-Garcia E, Vilchis F, Canto P (2013) Impact of genetic variants of IL-6, IL6R, LRP5, ESR1 and SP7 genes on bone mineral density in postmenopausal Mexican-Mestizo women with obesity. Gene 528:216–220. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2013.07.008 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar