Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide peptide reduced the production of proinflammatory cytokines in activated rheumatoid synovial fibroblast
- 374 Downloads
The aim of the current study was to elucidate the potential therapeutic effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide peptide (GL-PP) in rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The effects of GL-PP on cell proliferation and cytokine production were studied in RA synovial fibroblasts (RASF). GL-PP significantly inhibited the proliferation of RASF. Following the incubation with GL-PP, production of interleukin (IL)-6 and monocyte chemoattractant protein (MCP)-1 in RASF were significantly increased as expressed as percentage change from basal values. However, the actual effects were minimal due to the low basal values. When RASF were activated by IL-1β or lipopolysaccharides, IL-8 and MCP-1 production increased many folds. GL-PP significantly suppressed their productions. The inhibitory effects of GL-PP on cytokine production in RASF were at least in part, by inhibiting the nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB) transcription pathway. Our results demonstrated that GL-PP had the unique ability to modulate cytokine production in RASF and warrants further investigation into its mechanism of action.
KeywordsGanoderma lucidum Rheumatoid arthritis Synovial fibroblast Cytokines NF-κB Inflammation
This study was supported by University Grants Council of Hong Kong.
- 1.Kim SS, Kim YS (1990) Korean mushrooms. Yupoong Pub, Seoul, pp 298–299Google Scholar
- 2.Wasser SP, Weis AL (1999) Therapeutic effects of substances occurring in higher Basidiomycetes mushrooms: a modern perspective. Crit Rev Immunol Review 19:65–96 Google Scholar
- 23.Brennan FM, Field M, Chu CQ, Feldmann M, Maini RN (1991) Cytokine expression in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 30 Suppl 1:76–80 ReviewGoogle Scholar
- 24.Koch AE, Kunkel SL, Strieter RM (1995) Cytokines in rheumatoid arthritis. J Investig Med Review 43:28–38Google Scholar
- 26.Schumacher RH (1993) Primer on the rheumatic diseases, 10th edn. Arthritis Foundation, Atlanta, GA, pp 1–50 Google Scholar