Dependence Assessment Based on Generalized Relative Complexity: Application to Sampling Network Design
- 71 Downloads
Generalized statistical complexity measures provide a means to jointly quantify inner information and relative structural richness of a system described in terms of a probability model. As a natural divergence-based extension in this context, generalized relative complexity measures have been proposed for the local comparison of two given probability distributions. In this paper, the behavior of generalized relative complexity measures is studied for assessment of structural dependence in a random vector leading to a concept of ‘generalized mutual complexity’. A related optimality criterion for sampling network design, which provides an alternative to mutual information based methods in the complexity context, is formulated. Aspects related to practical implementation, and conceptual issues regarding the meaning and potential use of this approach, are discussed. Numerical examples are used for illustration.
KeywordsGeneralized mutual information Rényi entropy Shannon entropy Spatial sampling Statistical complexity
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)94A17 62M30
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aczél J, Daròczy Z (1975) On measures of information and their characterization. In: Mathematics in Science and Engineering, vol 115. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Angulo J M, Bueso M C, Alonso F J (2013) Space-time adaptive sampling and data transformations. In: Mateu J, Müller W G (eds) Spatial-temporal designs. Advances in efficient data acquisition. Wiley, Chichester, pp 231–248Google Scholar
- Gell-Mann M (1988) Simplicity and complexity in the description of nature. Eng Sci 51:2–9Google Scholar
- López-Ruiz R, Mancini H L, Calbet X (2013) A statistical measure of complexity. In: Kowalski A M, Rossignoli R D, Curado E M F (eds) Concepts and recent advances in generalized information measures and statistics. Bentham eBooks, Sharjah, pp 147–168Google Scholar
- López-Ruiz R, Nagy Á, Romera E, Sañudo J (2009) A generalized statistical complexity measure: applications to quantum systems. J Math Phys 50:123528 (10)Google Scholar
- Lovallo M, Telesca L (2011) Complexity measures and information planes of X-ray astrophysical sources. J Stat Mech 03:P03029Google Scholar
- Romera E, Sen K D, Nagy Á (2011) A generalized relative complexity measure. J Stat Mech Theory Expert 09:P09016Google Scholar
- Rosso O A, Martín M T, Larrondo H A, Kowalski A M, Plastino A (2013) Generalized statistical complexity: a new tool for dynamical systems. In: Kowalski A M, Rossignoli R D, Curado E M F (eds) Concepts and recent advances in generalized information measures and statistics. Bentham e-books, Rio de Janeiro, pp 169–215Google Scholar
- Tsallis C (1998) Generalized entropy-based criterion for consistent testing. Phys Rev E 58:1442–1445Google Scholar