Distances Between Poisson k -Flats
- 148 Downloads
The distances between flats of a Poisson k-flat process in the d-dimensional Euclidean space with k < d/2 are discussed. Continuing an approach originally due to Rolf Schneider, the number of pairs of flats having distance less than a given threshold and midpoint in a fixed compact and convex set is considered. For a family of increasing convex subsets, the asymptotic variance is computed and a central limit theorem with an explicit rate of convergence is proven. Moreover, the asymptotic distribution of the m-th smallest distance between two flats is investigated and it is shown that the ordered distances form asymptotically after suitable rescaling an inhomogeneous Poisson point process on the positive real half-axis. A similar result with a homogeneous limiting process is derived for distances around a fixed, strictly positive value. Our proofs rely on recent findings based on the Wiener–Itô chaos decomposition and the Malliavin–Stein method.
KeywordsCentral limit theorem Chaos decomposition Extreme values Limit theorems Poisson flat process Poisson point process Poisson U-statistic Stochastic geometry Wiener–Itô integral
AMS 2000 Subject Classification60D05 60F05 60G55 60H07
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lachièze-Rey R, Peccati G (2012) Fine Gaussian fluctuations on the Poisson space I: contractions, cumulants and geometric random graphs. Electron J Probab, to appearGoogle Scholar
- Lachièze-Rey R, Peccati G (2012) Fine Gaussian fluctuations on the Poisson space II: rescaled kernels, marked processes and geometric U-statistics. arXiv:1205.0632
- Last G, Penrose MD, Schulte M, Thäle C (2012) Moments and central limit theorems for some multivariate Poisson functionals. arXiv:1205.3033
- Materon G (1975) Random sets and integral geometry. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Peccati G (2011) The Chen-Stein method for Poisson functionals. arXiv:1112.5051
- Reitzner M, Schulte M (2012) Central limit theorems for U-statistics of Poisson point processes. Ann Probab, to appearGoogle Scholar
- Schulte M (2012) Normal approximation of Poisson functionals in Kolmogorov distance. arXiv:1206.3967