Non-asymptotic Bandwidth Selection for Density Estimation of Discrete Data
- 129 Downloads
We propose a new method for density estimation of categorical data. The method implements a non-asymptotic data-driven bandwidth selection rule and provides model sparsity not present in the standard kernel density estimation method. Numerical experiments with a well-known ten-dimensional binary medical data set illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed approach for density estimation, discriminant analysis and classification.
KeywordsBandwidth selection Kernel density estimator Generalized cross entropy Statistical modeling Discrete data smoothing Multivariate binary discrimination
AMS 2000 Subject ClassificationPrimary 94A17 60K35 Secondary 68Q32 93E14
- J. A. Anderson, K. Whale, J. Williamson, and W. W. Buchanan, “A statistical aid to the diagnosis of keratoconjunctivitis sicca,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine vol. 41 pp. 175–189, April, 1972.Google Scholar
- Z. I. Botev, Stochastic Methods for Optimization and Machine Learning. ePrintsUQ, http://eprint.uq.edu.au/archive/00003377, Technical Report, 2005.
- Z. I. Botev and D. P. Kroese, “The generalized cross entropy method, with applications to probability density estimation,” Electronic Preprint, 2006, http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/.
- L. Devroye and L. Gyofri “Nonparametric density estimation: the L 1 view.” In Wiley Series In Probability And Mathematical Statistics, 1985.Google Scholar
- R. Fletcher, Practical Methods of Optimization. Wiley, 1987.Google Scholar
- J. N. Kapur and H. K. Kesavan, Entropy Optimization Principles with Applications, Academic: New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- R. Y. Rubinstein and D. P. Kroese, The Cross-Entropy Method, Springer, 2004.Google Scholar
- D. W. Scott, Multivariate Density Estimation. Theory, Practice and Visualization, Wiley, 1992.Google Scholar
- B. W. Silverman, Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis, Chapman and Hall, 1986.Google Scholar
- J. S. Simonoff, Smoothing Methods in Statistics, Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- C. J. Stone, “An asymptotically optimal window selection rule for kernel density estimates,” Annals of Statistics, vol. 12, 1984.Google Scholar
- M. P. Wand and M. C. Jones, Kernel Smoothing, Chapman & Hall, 1995.Google Scholar