Group Time Delay in the Reflection of P-Polarized Electromagnetic Plane Waves at a Stratigraphic Interface
- 72 Downloads
The group time delay (GTD) formulae of quasi-total reflection of inhomogeneous P-polarized electromagnetic waves (P-PEW, whose electric field parallels to the plane of incidence), caused by the Goos–Hänchen effect, is derived by the phase shift of the wave. A numerical example where the frequency equals to 1 GHz is given. The curves of calculating results show that there are three discontinuous points at the critical angle of phase shift vector, the critical angle of attenuation vector and 90○. When the angle of incidence is equal to one of these three angles, the GTD will become infinite, and the electromagnetic wave will propagate along the interface. The GTD will be very large, when the angle of incidence is close to one of these three angles. The results indicate that there is an important relationship between the two critical angles and the conductivity and permittivity of the two strata, and that the GTD has an important relationship with the angle of incidence. These results can be used to determine the lithology of the strata and to delimit the interfaces of strata more effectively. It is suggested that this research may prove useful in electromagnetic logging analysis and, perhaps, in the design of logging instruments.
KeywordsP-polarized electromagnetic wave Quasi total reflection Conductive medium Group time delay Phase shift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allan WS, John DL (1991) Optical waveguide theory (Chinese translation). The People’s Post and Telecommunication Press, Beijing, pp 59–72 Google Scholar
- Chauvat D, Emile O, Bretenaker F, Le Floch A (2000) Direct measurement of the Wigner delay associated with the Goos–Hänchen effect. Phys Rev Lett, 71–74 Google Scholar
- Depine RA, Bonomo NE (1996) Goos–Hänchen lateral shift for Gaussian beams reflected at achiral–chiral interfaces. Optik, 37–41 Google Scholar
- Jackson JD (1975) Classical electrodynamics. Wiley, New York, pp 269–284 Google Scholar
- Liu FP, Song HY (2000) The inter mode chromatic dispersion of step index fiber. Acta Photonica Sinica 29(7):611–614 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Liu FP, Zhang HM, Yang CC, Li RZ (2005b) The lateral shift of quasi-total reflection of inhomogeneous electromagnetic waves when the electromagnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of incidence. Chin J Geophys 48(4):989–998 Google Scholar
- Xu JH (1997) The electromagnetic field and electromagnetic wave in layer media. Petroleum Industry Press, Beijing, pp 38–59 (in Chinese) Google Scholar