Two infinite families of terminating binomial sums
- 132 Downloads
We present a family of identities including both binomial coefficients and a power of a natural number \(m \ge 2\). We find a combinatorial interpretation of these identities, which provides bijective proof. Dual alternating sign identities are also presented.
KeywordsBinomial coefficient identity Bijection Weighted tilings Alternating sum
Mathematics Subject Classification05A10 05A19
The author thanks the referee for valuable comments and suggestions that improved the final version of the paper. The author is thankful to Professor B.Sury from the Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore for providing useful reference.
- 2.H. Belbachir, M. Rahmani, B. Sury, Alternating sums of the reciprocals of binomial coefficients. J. Integer Seq. 15,12.2.8,16 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.I. Martinjak, Two extensions of the Sury’s identity, Amer. Math. Mon. 123(9) (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.I. Martinjak, H. Prodinger, Complementary families of the Fibonacci-Lucas relations, preprint, (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.F. Petrov, Polynomial approach to explicit formulae for generalized binomial coefficients, arXiv:1504.01007, (2015)
- 12.H.H. Pilehrood, T.H. Pilerood, Jacobi polynomials and congruences involving some higher-order Catalan numbers and binomial coefficients. J. Integer Seq. 18(11), 15.11.7 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.J. Propp, A reciprocity theorem for domino tilings.electron. J. Combin. 8(1), R18, 9 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Y. Sun, F. Ma, Some new binomial sums related to the Catalan triangle, Electron. J. Combin. 21(1), P1.33, 15 (2014)Google Scholar