The Denier-in-Chief: Climate Change, Science and the Election of Donald J. Trump
The election of Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States reminded us that climate deniers are anything but endangered species. In this short paper, we discuss President Trump’s position on climate change in the wider context of climate controversies and denial. In particular, we put it into perspective with other notorious contrarian leaders and their influence on national and international climate politics. Finally, we provide a brief analysis of President Trump discourses on climate change and discuss them in light of reflections about post-truth politics.
KeywordsClimate controversies Climate denial Contrarian leaders Climate politics Post-truth
- Abbott, Tony. 2009. Battlelines. Melbourne: Melbourne Univ. Publishing.Google Scholar
- Dagorn, Gary. 2016. Les volte-face de Nicolas Sarkozy sur le changement climatique. Le Monde. http://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2016/09/15/les-volte-face-de-nicolas-sarkozy-sur-le-changement-climatique_4998385_4355770.html#S48VEgAm31TfyCPX.99. Accessed 10 March 2017.
- DiChristopher, Tom. 2017. Scott Pruitt’s latest climate change denial sparks backlash from scientists, environmentalists. CNBC. http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/scott-pruitts-latest-climate-change-denial-sparks-backlash.html. Accessed 10 March 2017.
- Dunlap, Riley E. 2013. Climate change skepticism and denial: An introduction. American Behavioral Scientist 57(6): 691–698. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764213477097. Accessed 10 March. 2017.
- Dunlap, Riley E., and Aaron M. McCright. 2008. A widening gap: Republican and Democratic views on climate change. Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development 50 (5): 26–35.Google Scholar
- Edwards, P.N., and S.H. Schneider. 1997. The 1995 IPCC report: Broad consensus or ‘scientific cleansing’. Ecofable/Ecoscience 1 (1): 3–9.Google Scholar
- Hoag, H. 2012. Canadian budget hits basic science. Innovation wins over basic research and the environment. Nature. http://www.nature.com/news/canadian-budget-hits-basic-science-1.10366. Accessed 10 March 2017.
- Hoggan, James, and Richard Littlemore. 2009. Climate cover-up: The crusade to deny global warming. Vancouver: Greystone Books Ltd.Google Scholar
- Klaus, Vaclav. 2010. The Climate change doctrine is part of environmentalism, not of science. https://www.klaus.cz/clanky/2694. Accessed 11 March 2017.
- Latour, Bruno. 2012. Que la bataille se livre au moins à armes égales. In Controverses climatiques, sciences et politique, ed. E. Zaccai, F. Gemenne, and J.M. Decroly. Paris: Presses de Sciences Po.Google Scholar
- Lynch, Michael. 2017. Post-truth, alt-facts, and asymmetric controversies (Part II). http://first100days.stsprogram.org/2017/02/20/post-truth-alt-facts-and-asymmetric-controversies-part-ii/. Accessed 11 March 2017.
- McGee, Kyle. 2017. Heathen Earth. Trumpism and political ecology. Punctum books.Google Scholar
- New York Times. 2016. Donald Trump’s New York Times interview: Full transcript https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/trump-new-york-times-interview-transcript.html?_r=1. Accessed 10 March 2017.
- Ogden, Lesley E. 2016. Nine years of censorship. Nature. http://www.nature.com/news/nine-years-of-censorship-1.19842. Accessed 10 March 2017.
- Oreskes, Naomi, and Erik M. Conway. 2010. Merchants of doubt. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing.Google Scholar
- Oreskes, Naomi, and Erik M. Conway. 2008. Challenging knowledge: How climate science became a victim of the cold war. In Agnotology. The making and unmaking of ignorance, ed. R. Proctor, and L. Schiebinger. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Painter, James. 2011. Poles apart. Oxford: Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism.Google Scholar
- Rahmstorf, Stefan. 2004. The climate sceptics. In The State of Science. Weather catastrophes and climate change: Is there still hope for us. ed. Munich Re. Munich: PG Verlag. The state of science. http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/Publications/Other/rahmstorf_climate_sceptics_2004.pdf. Accessed 13 March 2017.
- The Guardian. 2011. Canada pulls out of Kyoto protocol. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/dec/13/canada-pulls-out-kyoto-protocol. Accessed 10 March 2017.
- Turner, Chris. 2014. The war on science: Muzzled scientists and wilful blindness in Stephen Harper’s Canada. Vancouver: Greystone Books Ltd.Google Scholar