Flame-retardant epoxy resin based on aluminum monomethylphosphinate
- 341 Downloads
Aluminum monomethylphosphinate (MeP-Al) was synthesized and applied as a flame retardant for epoxy resin (EP). The structure of MeP-Al was characterized with FTIR, 1H NMR, 31P NMR and XRF. Curing reaction monitoring, thermal analysis, evolved gas and solid residue analysis, flammability tests (LOI, UL 94), microcombustion calorimeter and chemical analysis of residues were used. 20 mass% of MeP-Al provides EP with desired flame retardancy and anti-dripping property. The formulation passes the UL 94 V0 rating with LOI value of 29.6 %. MeP-Al mainly acts in the solid phase, and minority acts in the gas phase. P–H bond in MeP-Al can react with the unsaturated bond of compounds coming from decomposition of EP to form the condensed and stable phosphate salts in the solid phase. The firm char is a good barrier to avoid heat transfer and progressive degrading of the inner material.
KeywordsFlame retardants Metal salts of phosphinate Epoxy Thermosetting
This work is supported by the national high-tech r&d program of China (863 program) [2015AA033406] and the key project of nature science founding of Hubei [ZRZ2014000060].
- 10.Döring M, Diederichs J, Non-reactive-fillers in innovative flame retardants in E&E applications, 2nd ed. pinfa: Brussels, Brussels; 2009, pp. 26–7.Google Scholar
- 15.Tilliette V, Schmidt LE, Ghoul C, Schaal S. Environmentally friendly flame retardant epoxy for electrical insulation. The 2008 IEEE international symposium on electrical insulation. 2008; 1–2:492.Google Scholar
- 16.Hoerold S. Flame-retarding thermosetting compositions. US Patent 6,420,459 (2002).Google Scholar
- 17.Döring M, Diederichs J. Non-Reactive-Fillers. In innovative flame retardants in E&E applications. 2nd ed. Brussels: pinfa. 2009; pp. 25–26.Google Scholar
- 19.Peters EN, Braidwood CL. Flame retardant composition and method. US Patent 20070080330 A1 (2007).Google Scholar
- 20.Liu X, Liu J, Guo Y, Cakmak M. influence of structure of the metal salts of phosphinates on the performance of the fire-retardant polymers. AIP Conf Proc. 2015;1664:1–5.Google Scholar