Thermal behavior and decomposition kinetics of ETN and its mixtures with PETN and RDX
- 412 Downloads
Erythritol tetranitrate (butane-1,2,3,4-tetrayl tetranitrate, ETN) has become one of the most synthesized improvised explosives nowadays as it can be found on public internet discussion boards. However, the low melting point, nitrocellulose gelling ability, high energy content, and availability of its precursor make the substance potentially useful in industry as an energetic component or additive in certain gun propellants. Mixtures of ETN with other high explosives are also frequently discussed on web pages dealing with improvised explosives. This article describes thermal behavior and decomposition kinetics of pure ETN and its mixtures with pentaerythritol tetranitrate and cyclonite (1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazinane, RDX). The thermal behavior and decomposition kinetics of such mixtures are described using non-isothermal DSC and TG techniques. Kissinger method, Soviet manometric method, and modified Kissinger–Akahira–Sunose method were used for data evaluation.
KeywordsErythritol tetranitrate ETN Pentaerythritol tetranitrate Hexogen Decomposition Improvised explosive
The work in this article was mainly carried out as a part of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic Project No. VG20102014032.
- 2.Urbański T. Chemistry and technology of explosives, vol. 2. Oxford: Pergamon Press; 1965. p. 517.Google Scholar
- 3.Naoúm P. Nitroglycerine and nitroglycerine explosives. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins Company; 1928. p. 469.Google Scholar
- 4.Afanasiev AG, Svetlov BS. O termicheskom razlozenii polinitratov gomologicheskogo ryada O2NOCH2[CH(ONO2)]nCH2ONO2. Trudy Moskovskogo ordena Lenina khimiko-tekhnologicheskogo instituta imeni D. I. Mendeleeva. 1968;58:185–188.Google Scholar
- 6.Bergeim FH. Production of erythritol tetranitrate, US patent 1,691,954; 1928.Google Scholar
- 7.Detail Specification RDX. Military Standard MIL-DTL-398D, US Department of Defense; 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.Yan Q-L, Zeman S, Svoboda R, Elbeih A, Málek J. The effect of crystal structure on the thermal initiation of CL-20 and its C4 bonded explosives (II): models for overlapped reactions and thermal stability. J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 2012. doi: 10.1007/s10973-012-2629-3.
- 15.Klimenko GK. Goreniye i vzryv. In: 4th All-union symposium on combustion and explosion. Moskva: Nauka; 1977. p. 587.Google Scholar
- 16.Andreev KK, Kaidymov BI. Termicheskii raspad TENa. In: Andreeva KK, Belyaeva AF, Golbindera AI, Gorsma AG, editors. Teoriya vzryvchatykh veshchestv. Moskva: Oborongiz; 1963. p. 241–73.Google Scholar