Effect of ZnO nanoparticles on kinetics of thermal degradation and final properties of ethylene–propylene–diene rubber systems
- 354 Downloads
The morphology, thermal degradation behavior in addition to static and dynamic mechanical properties of various ethylene–propylene–diene (EPDM) rubber compounds containing nano-zinc oxide (NZnO) were investigated compared to those of EPDM with ordinary-sized ZnO (OSZnO). The field-emission scanning electron microscopy studies showed that unlike the conventional system, the formation of large size ZnO agglomerates was discouraged for NZnO filled systems. Thermogravimetric analysis (TG) revealed that the thermal degradation of EPDM system was delayed upon the inclusion of NZnO instead of OSZnO in the compound. The kinetic analysis of TG data based on Friedman and Kissinger methods showed that the nanocomposite samples exhibited higher activation energy (Ea) and lower order of reaction (n) over the conventional system, suggesting the enhancement of thermal stability upon decreasing ZnO particle size. The results obtained from dynamic mechanical analysis and static mechanical characterizations in terms of hardness, resilience, and abrasion tests interestingly indicated that NZnO not merely could act as a thermal insulator, but also could perform as a nano-filler to improve the final performance of EPDM elastomers.
KeywordsNano-zinc oxide EPDM Thermal behavior Thermal degradation kinetics Dynamic mechanical analysis
- 8.Heideman G, Noordermeer JWM, Datta RN, van Baarle B. Modified clays as activator in sulphur: a novel approach to reduce zinc oxide levels in rubber compounds. Kautschuk Gummi Kunststoffe. 2003;56:650–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Pysklo L, Pawlowski P, Nicinski K, Slusarski L, Wlodarska M, Bak G. Study on reduction of zinc oxide level in rubber compounds: part ii mechanism of activation of sulphur vulcanisation by means of the interphase transfer catalyst 18-crown-6-ether. Kautschuk Gummi Kunststoffe. 2008;61:442–8.Google Scholar
- 11.Akhlaghi S, Kalaee M, Mazinani S, Jowdar E, Nouri A, Sharif A, Sedaghat N. Effect of zinc oxide nanoparticles on isothermal cure kinetics, morphology and mechanical properties of EPDM rubber. Thermochimica Acta. 2011; doi:10.1016/j.tca.201110.015.
- 18.Gu H, He JM, Hu J, Huang YD. Thermal degradation kinetics of semi-aromatic polyamide containing benzoxazole unit. J Therm Anal Calorim. doi:10.1007/s10973-011-1778-0.
- 19.Friedman HL. Kinetics of thermal degradation of char-forming plastics from thermogravimetry. Application to a phenolic plastic. J Appl Polym Sci. 1964;6:183–95.Google Scholar
- 20.Zabihi O, Omrani A, Rostami AA. Thermo-oxidative degradation kinetics and mechanism of the system epoxy nanocomposite reinforced with nano-Al2O3. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2011; doi:10.1007/s10973-011-1945-3.