Mg2−xMn x SiO4 compound obtained via sol–gel method: structural, morphological and electrochemical properties
- 106 Downloads
Prospective cathode materials Mg2-xMn x SiO4 (0.0 ≤ x ≤ 0.4) for magnesium-ion secondary battery were synthesized using sol gel method. Crystalline structure, morphology, particle size, electrical and electrochemical properties of the samples were investigated. X-ray diffraction patterns of the materials exhibited no extra peak for x ≤ 0.6 indicated that Mg2-xMn x SiO4 materials were successfully synthesized. Mn doping in magnesium site did not affect the formation of single phase, and this probably due to the low concentration of Mn to induces structural changes. Mn doping contributed to the enhancement of the electrochemical performance of Mg2SiO4. For this work, Mg1.4Mn0.6SiO4 which possesses the largest unit cell volume, smallest charge transfer resistance, and highest conductivity value showed the most promising electrochemical performance compared to the other samples. These results indicated the suitability of the Mg2-xMn x SiO4 to be exploiting further for potential applications as solid electrolytes in electrochemical devices and strengthen the fact that doping could be an effective way to enhanched the structural, electrical and electrochemical performance of materials.
KeywordsOlivine Cathode material Cyclic voltammetry X-ray diffraction Magnesium battery
The authors gratefully acknowledge support by the University Malaya Research Grant, UMRG (RP013C-13AFR) and Postgraduate Research Grant, PPP (PG224-2015A). A highly gratitude goes to Ministry of Higher Education for scholarship My Brain15 awarded to Siti Hafizha.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Wu B, Ren Y, Li N (2011) LiFePO4 cathode material. In: Electric vehicles—the benefits and barriers. InTechGoogle Scholar
- 18.NuLi Y, Yang J, Li Y, Feng Z, Wang J (2008) Molten salt synthesis of MgMnSiO4 for rechargeable magnesium battery cathode. Meet Abstr 4:450–450. The Electrochemical SocietyGoogle Scholar
- 24.Adnan SBRS, Mohamed NS (2012) Conductivity and dielectric studies of Li2ZnSiO4 ceramic electrolyte synthesized via citrate sol gel method. Int J Electrochem Sci 7:9844–9858Google Scholar
- 26.Tamin SH, Adnan SBRS, Jaafar MH, Mohamed NS (2017) Effects of sintering temperature on the structure and electrochemical performance of Mg2SiO4 cathode materials. Ionics 1–7Google Scholar
- 34.Mazza D, Lucco-Borlera M, Busca G, Delmastro A (1993) High-quartz solid-solution phases from xerogels with composition 2MgO·2Al2O3·5SiO2 (μ-Cordierite) and Li2O.Al2O3·nSiO2 (n = 2 to 4) (β-Eucryptite): characterization by XRD, FTIR and surface measurements. J Eur Ceram Soc 11(4):299–308. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2219(93)90029-Q CrossRefGoogle Scholar