Comparison of the influence of titanium and chromium adhesion layers on the properties of sol–gel derived NKN thin films
- 368 Downloads
Lead-free (Na0.5K0.5)NbO3 (NKN) thin films were prepared on Pt/X/SiO2/Si substrates (with the adhesion promoters X = Ti, Cr) by a sol–gel process with and without post-annealing treatment. The effect of the diffusion of the adhesion layer elements Ti and Cr into the NKN film was analysed by secondary ion mass spectrometry, scanning electron microscopy pictures, X-ray diffraction (XRD), and leakage current measurements. It turned out that Cr diffuses into the films to a higher extent than Ti. The high amount of Cr diffusion led to the formation of a secondary phase, as seen in the XRD pattern, and to pore formation on the surface of the NKN films. In contrast, the films with Ti adhesion layer were single phase NKN without pore formation. Also, the leakage current measurements showed a strong influence of the Cr diffusion. The leakage current of the films with Cr adhesion layer was about four orders of magnitude higher than that of the films with Ti adhesion layer. The study shows the strong influence of the adhesion layer of the substrate on the properties of NKN films.
KeywordsSol–gel process (Na0.5K0.5)NbO3 Thin film Diffusion Substrate Lead-free piezo material
The authors gratefully acknowledge the LOEWE-Zentrum AdRIA for financial support and Markus Antoni for the assistance with the synthesis.
- 1.Jaffe B, Cook WR, Jaffe JR, Jaffe H (1971) Piezoelectric ceramics. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.EU-Directive 2002/96/EC, Off J Eur Union 46 [L37] (2003) 24Google Scholar
- 5.EU-Directive 2002/95/EC, Off J Eur Union 46 [L37] (2003) 19Google Scholar
- 17.Tanaka K, Kakimoto K, Ohsato H, Iijima T (2007) Jpn, J Appl Phys. 46(3A):1094Google Scholar
- 18.Goh PC, Yao K (2009) J Am Ceram Soc 92(6): 1322Google Scholar
- 21.Wiegand S, Flege S, Baake O, Ensinger W. Bull Mater Sci in print. doi: 10.1007/s12034-012-0367-6