Magnetic properties of Co1+yAl2−yO4–SiO2 nanocomposites synthesized by sol–gel method
- 110 Downloads
Nanocomposites made of magnetic spinel oxide Co1+yAl2−yO4 particles dispersed in an amorphous SiO2 matrix were synthesized by a sol–gel technique. Samples with various mass fractions of Co1+yAl2−yO4 in composite x, and with various Co concentrations in spinel y were studied. The grain sizes were below 100 nm with a large size distribution. The paper represents thorough investigation of magnetic properties, but special attention was given to peculiar effects and low temperature magnetic frozen states. Magnetic measurements reveal multiple magnetic ground states at the lowest temperature. The frequency dependent ac susceptibility measurements indicate spin-glass behavior of these ground states at low temperatures. The samples, with higher concentration x of Co1+yAl2−yO4 in SiO2, showed very similar Curie–Weiss paramagnetic behavior with antiferromagnetically interacting Co ions (θ ≈ −100 K). Other samples, with lower x, showed complex behavior, spin-glass magnetic freezing at the lowest temperatures and lower absolute value of θ and consequently lower exchange constant.
KeywordsMagnetic materials Sol–gel preparation Nanocomposites Spin glass ac susceptibility
Financial support for this study was granted by the Ministry of Science of the Republic of Serbia, project No 172026.
- 1.Tristan N, Zestrea V, Behr G, Klingeler R, Buchner B, Krug von Nidda HA, Loidl A, Tsurkan V (2008) Phys Rev B 77:094412FGoogle Scholar
- 8.Corrias A, Casula MF (2011) In: Aegerter AM (ed) Aerogels handbook, 1st edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Resnick DA, Gilmore K, Idzerda YU, Klem MT, Allen M, Douglas T, Arenholz E, Young M (2006) J Appl Phys 99:08Q501Google Scholar
- 11.Goldberg S, Davis AJ, Hem DJ (1995) ch. 7 In: Garrison S (ed) The environmental chemistry of aluminum, 2nd edn. CRC Lewis Publishers, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- 18.Mydosh JA (1993) Spin glasses: an experimental introduction. Taylor and Francis, LondonGoogle Scholar