Effect of irradiation on the cryogenic mechanical characteristics of polyurethane foam
- 31 Downloads
The present study investigated thermal and mechanical characteristics of irradiated polyurethane foams (PUFs) according to the irradiation does under various temperature conditions, including low/cryogenic temperatures. Fourier transform infrared analysis was performed to obtain information on the PUF molecular structure. In addition, Macro- and microstructural investigations were carried out to determine the relationship between thermal and mechanical characteristics and irradiation dose. The test results were quantitatively presented, and it was found that the irradiated PUF has potential for application in industrial structures.
KeywordsIrradiation Irradiation dose Polyurethane foam Compressive behavior Fourier transform infrared analysis Thermal conductivity
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) through GCRC-SOP(No. 2011-0030013). This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Grant funded by the Ministry of Science and ICT (MSIT, Korea) (No. 2017M2B2A4049931). This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Grant funded by the Ministry of Science and ICT (MSIT, Korea) (No. 2018R1A2B6007403).
- 1.Charlesby A (1960) Atomic radiation and polymers. International Series of Monographs on Radiation Effects in Materials. Pergamon, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 13.Choi SW, Roh JU, Kim MS, Lee WI (2011) Thermal analysis of two main CCS (Cargo Containment System) insulation box by using experimental thermal properties. J Comput Struct Eng Inst Korea 24(4):429–438Google Scholar
- 18.Rus AZM, Hassan NNM (2015) Thermal degradation and damping characteristic of UV irradiated biopolymer. Int J Polym Sci 2015(4):1–11Google Scholar
- 19.Joanna L, Boguslaw C, Joanna PS, Moraczewski K (2015) The effect of UV radiation on the properties of rigid PUR-PIR foam. Adv Polym Technol 36(4):1–8Google Scholar
- 24.Youssef HA, Abdel-Monem YK, El-Sherbiny IM, Eyssa HM, Abd El-Raheem HM (2016) Effect of ionizing radiation on the properties of some synthesized polyurethanes. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 7(4):855–864Google Scholar
- 26.ASTM 1461 (2013) Standard test method for thermal diffusivity by the flash method. ASTM International, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 27.KS M 3809 (2006) Thermal insulation material made of rigid urethane foam (in Korean). Korean Industrial Standards, SeoulGoogle Scholar
- 33.Dalongeville G, Dabo M, Gauthier C, Roland T (2017) Mechanical properties of polymer foams: influence of the internal architecture on the stiffness. 23ème Congrès Français de Mécanique, Lille, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 35.Ridha M (2007) Mechanical and failure properties of rigid polyurethane foam under tension. Ph.D. thesis, Department of mechanical engineering, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, SingaporeGoogle Scholar