Determination of the 232Th(n,2n)231Th reaction rate in thorium oxide cylinder assembly under D-T neutron source
- 56 Downloads
Aiming at verifying the evaluated cross-section of 232Th(n,2n) reaction for the conceptual design of thorium based subcritical blanket in fusion–fission hybrid reactor, an integral experiment was carried out using activation technique with D-T neutrons. 232Th(n,2n) reaction rates were measured in a ThO2 cylinder assembly with relative uncertainty of 8.0%. The experiment was simulated by MCNP code combining with ENDF/B-VII.0, ENDF/B-VII.1, CENDL-3.1 and JENDL-4.0 databases. The calculated 232Th(n,2n) reaction rates employing JENDL-4.0 show low discrepancy with the measured ones. The results could provide reference to the re-evaluation of 232Th(n,2n) cross-section and the design of fusion–fission hybrid reactor.
Keywords232Th(n,2n) reaction rate D-T neutron source Fusion–fission hybrid reactor MCNP
This work was funded by the National Nature Science Foundation of China (11505164) and the Neutron Physics Key Laboratory Foundation (2015BC02), thanks will be given to the Accelerator Department of INPC for their great work in D-T neutron source operation.
- 1.Liu C (1989) A brief introduction to the fusion-fission hybrid reactor physics. Nucl Tech 12(8–9):561–564 Chinese Google Scholar
- 2.Shi X, Peng X (2010) Preliminary concept design on blanket neutronics of a fusion–fission hybrid reactor for energy production. Nucl Power Eng 31(4):5–7 Chinese Google Scholar
- 4.Tewes HA, Caretto AA, Miller AE et al (1960) Excitation functions of neutron-induced reactions. Nuclear and Radiation Chemical Symposium, Chalk RiverGoogle Scholar
- 5.Perkin JL, Coleman RF (1961) Cross-sections for the (n,2n) reactions of 232Th, 238U and 237Np with 14 MeV neutrons. J Nucl Energy 14(1–4):69–75Google Scholar
- 15.Yang Y, Liu R et al (2013) Thorium capture ratio determination through γ-ray off-line method. Acta Phys Sin 62(3):032801 Chinese Google Scholar
- 16.Briesmeister JF (2000) MCNPTM-A general Monte Carlo Nparticle transport code. Version 4C, LA-13709-M. Los Alamos (NM): Los Alamos National LaboratoryGoogle Scholar
- 18.Yan X, Liu R, Lu X et al (2012) Measurement and analysis of neutron capture rate of U-238 in an alternate depleted uranium/polyethylene system. Acta Phys Sin 61(10):102801 Chinese Google Scholar
- 20.ENDF/B-VI Decay Data. http://t2.lanl.gov/data/decayd.htm
- 21.Standard Test Methods for Detector Calibration and Analysis of Radionuclides. AstmGoogle Scholar
- 22.M. Drosg (2003) DROSG-2000, codes and database for 59 neutron source reactions, documented in the IAEA report IAEA-NDS-87 Rev, received from the IAEA Nuclear Data SectionGoogle Scholar