Preparation and characterization of strontium targets for nuclear astrophysics experiments
- 83 Downloads
The present paper describes preparation and characterization of strontium targets for nuclear astrophysical experiments with alpha particles accelerated near the Gamow window energy. SrF2 and SrCO3 targets were obtained by thermal evaporation in similar conditions. Target characteristics (thickness, chemical purity and surface morphology) were determined via α transmission measurements, XRD and SEM/EDX analysis. The results reveal the SrF2 target exhibits better properties compared to the SrCO3 one for our nuclear astrophysics experiments. This result was supported by nuclear activation measurements with an α beam at the Bucharest Tandem 9 MV accelerator.
KeywordsStrontium target α induced reactions Cross-sections Nuclear astrophysics XRD
This work was supported by the University POLITEHNICA Bucharest.
- 4.Cata-Danil I, Zamfir NV, Ivascu M, Bucurescu D, Cata-Danil Gh, Glodariu T, Suliman G, Stroe L, Ghita D, Mihai C, Sava T (2007) α-induced cross sections of 63Cu for astrophysical P process. Rom Rep Phys 59:377Google Scholar
- 5.Cata-Danil I, Ivascu M, Glodariu T, Zamfir NV, Bucurescu D, Filipescu D, Cata-Danil G, Stroe L, Mihai C, Ghita D, Suliman G, Sava T (2008) Measurement of cross sections and thick target yields for (α, γ) process on 63Cu. Rom Rep Phys 60:555Google Scholar
- 7.Ziegler JF, Biersack JP (1985) The stopping and range of ions in solid. Pergamon, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.Barrett CS, Massalski TB (1980) Structure of metals: crystallographic methods, principles and data. Pergamon Press, Oxford, p 204Google Scholar
- 14.Filipescu D, Avrigeanu V, Glodariu T, Mihai C, Bucurescu D, Ivascu M, Cata-Danil I, Stroe L, Sima O, Cata-Danil G, Deleanu D, Ghita DG, Marginean N, Marginean R, Negret A, Pascu S, Sava T, Suliman G, Zamfir NV (2011) Cross sections for α-particle induced reactions on 115,116Sn around the Coulomb barrier. Phys Rev C 83:064609CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Oprea A, Glodariu T, Filipescu D, Gheorghe I, Mitu A, Boromiza M, Bucurescu D, Costache C, Cata-Danil I, Florea N, Ghita DG, Ionescu A, Marginean N, Marginean R, Mihai C, Mihai R, Negret A, Nita C, Olacel A, Pascu S, Sotty C, Suvaila R, Stan L, Stroe L, Serban A, Stiru I, Toma S, Turturica A, Ujeniuc S (2017) Absolute cross sections of the 86Sr(α, n)89Zr reaction at energies of astrophysical interest. AEPJ Web Conf 146:01016CrossRefGoogle Scholar