Sorption of inorganic radiocarbon on iron oxides
- 71 Downloads
The sorption of inorganic radiocarbon on goethite, hematite and magnetite was studied as a function of carbon concentration, pH and ionic strength. It was discovered that the sorption of radiocarbon on magnetite was negligible in all studied conditions. The distribution coefficients of radiocarbon on hematite and goethite decreased with increasing pH whereas the ionic strength had only a slight decreasing effect on radiocarbon sorption. The sorption on goethite and hematite was modelled with PhreeqC using a generalized double-layer surface complexation model.
KeywordsRadiocarbon Sorption Nuclear waste Goethite Hematite Magnetite
The research leading to these results received funding from the Finnish Research Program on Nuclear Waste Management KYT2018.
- 1.Hjerpe T, Ikonen ATK, Broed R (2009) Biosphere assessment report 2009, Posiva Oy, Posiva Report 2010-03Google Scholar
- 2.Posiva. (2013) Safety Case for the Disposal of Spent Nuclear Fuel at Olkiluoto—Models and Data for the Repository System 2012. Posiva Oy, Posiva Report 2013-01Google Scholar
- 3.Johnson L, Poinssot C, Ferry C, Lovera P (2004) Estimates of the instant release fraction for UO2 and MOX fuel at t = 0. NAGRA Technical Report 04-08Google Scholar
- 4.Limer LMC, Smith K, Albrecht A, Marang L, Norris S, Smith GM, Thorne MC,Xu S (2012) C-14 long-term dose assessment: data review, scenario development, and model comparison. Strålsäkerhetsmyndigheten, p 47Google Scholar
- 6.Kaneko S, Tanabe H, Sasoh M, Takahashi R, Shibano T, Tateyama S (2003) A study on the chemical forms and migration behavior of 14C leached from the simulated hull waste in the underground condition. Mat Res Soc Symp Proc 757:621–626Google Scholar
- 7.Pitkänen P, Partamies S (2007) Origin and Implications of Dissolved Gases in Groundwater at Olkiluoto, Posiva Oy, Posiva Report 2007-04Google Scholar
- 8.Aaltonen I, Engström J, Front K, Gehör S, Kosunen P, Kärki A, Mattila J, Paananen M, Paulamäki S. (2016) Geology of Olkiluoto. Posiva Oy, Posiva Report 2016-16Google Scholar
- 17.Dzombak DA, Morel FMM (1990) Surface complexation modelling: hydrous ferric oxide. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar