INAA for the evaluation of selenium contents in grain foods consumed by Korean
- 130 Downloads
This study was aimed to measure the Se content in common consumed grain and potato foods. About 1 g of analytical sample of 40 items of foods was irradiated for 3 h by thermal neutrons (Φ th = 2.8 × 1013 n/cm2 s) and 75Se nuclide was used for the determination of Se contents. The rice showed the range of Se contents from 0.55 to 3.64 μg per 100 g of sample. The Se contents in grain products varied according to the type of grain processing. The acquired Se value in this study will be useful to assess the Se intake of Korean.
KeywordsFood selenium content Grain foods Korean INAA Dietary selenium intake
This study was carried out under the nuclear research and development program by Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Republic of Korea (NRF-2010-0023314).
- 1.Rayman MP (2008) Food-chain selenium and human health: emphasis on intake. Br J Nutr 100:254–268Google Scholar
- 4.Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, The Korean Nutrition Society, Korean Food and Drug Adminstration (2010) Dietary reference intakes for Koreans, 1st revision, The Korean Nutrition Society, Seoul, Korea pp 481–497 (original in Korean, abstract is available http://www.kns.or.kr. Accessed 15 Aug 2015)
- 8.Cho SY, Hong WJ, Lee JY, Kang SH, Chung YS (2002) A study on the mineral distribution in Korean foodstuffs by neutron activation analysis. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34(3):390–395Google Scholar
- 10.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. USDA. [Internet] National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 26. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page, [2015. August 15]. Available from http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/nol
- 12.Galinha G, Pacheco AMG, do Carmo Freitas M, Freitas M, Kucera J, Cautinho J et al (2015) Selenium in bread and durum wheats grown under a soil supplementation regime in actual field conditions, determined by cyclic and radiochemical neutron activation analysis. J Radioanal Nucl Chem 304(2):139–143CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Marro N (1996) The 1994 Australian Market Basket Survey. Australian Government Publishing Service, CamberraGoogle Scholar