Comparison of relative INAA and k 0-INAA using soil and sediment reference materials
- 87 Downloads
The objective of this work was to compare the results obtained by the relative INAA and k 0-INAA methods for the same input parameters (sample mass, nuclear data, net peak area for the same gamma line and the same measurement and same cooling and measurement times). In total eight environmental soil and sediment reference materials (RM) or certified reference materials (CRM) from different producers were analysed. In this work only the recommended or certified values were considered, allowing comparison of the two methods for 30 elements. The results point out that k 0-INAA possesses superior qualities compared to relative INAA, being insensitive to flux gradients, and independent of recommended/certified values in RMs/CRMs, often used as standards in relative INAA.
KeywordsINAA k0-INAA Soil Sediment Reference material Certified reference material
The author is grateful for financial support from the Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS) through programme P1-0143 and the Metrology Institute of the Republic of Slovenia (MIRS) under MIRS/IJS contract No. 6401-5/2009/27 for activities and obligations performed as a Designate Institute as an etalon (standard of measurement) for amount of substance in soil.
- 3.HyperLab 2002 System (2002) Installation and quick start guide. HyperLabs Software, BudapestGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kayzero for Windows (KayWin®), User’s Manual for reactor neutron activation analysis (NAA) using the k 0 standardization method, Version 2, November 2005Google Scholar
- 6.ISO 13528:2005 (2005) Statistical methods for use in proficiency testing by interlaboratory comparisons. ISO, GenèveGoogle Scholar
- 7.The 2012 recommended k 0-database (2012) http://www.kayzero.com/k0naa/k0naa/News/News.html Accessed 14 Mar 2012
- 11.Jaćimović R (2003) Evaluation of the use of the TRIGA Mark II reactor for the k 0-method of activation analysis (in Slovene). PhD Thesis, University of LjubljanaGoogle Scholar