Should we measure plutonium concentrations in marine sediments near Fukushima?
- 268 Downloads
Pu contamination originating from Fukushima accident has not been detected in marine sediment samples collected outside a 30 km circle around the plant. It is shown, by means of numerical modelling, that if any impact from the accident has occurred, this would remain in a very close area to Fukushima because of the low Pu mobility in the marine environment. Since the situation inside the 30 km zone remains unknown, further studies on the determination of Pu isotopes in sediments within this area are required.
KeywordsPlutonium Marine dispersion Fukushima Numerical modelling Sediments
- 1.Bailly du BP, Laguionie P, Boust D, Korsakissok I, Didier D, Fiévet B (2012) Estimation of marine source term following Fukushima Dai-ichi accident. J Environ Radioact 114:2–9Google Scholar
- 2.Buesseler KO, Jayneb SR, Fisherc NS, Rypinab II, Baumannc H, Baumannc Z, Breiera CF, Douglassb EM, Georgec J, Macdonaldb AM, Miyamotod H, Nishikawad J, Pikea SM, Yoshidab S (2012) Fukushima-deriver radionuclides in the ocean and biota off Japan. PNAS, doi:10.1073/pnas.1120794109
- 4.Periáñez R, Kyung-Suk S, Byung-Il M (2012) Local scale marine modelling of Fukushima releases. Assessment of water and sediment contamination and sensitivity to water circulation description. Mar Pollut Bull 64:2333–2339Google Scholar
- 5.Yamamoto M, Takada T, Nagao S, Koike T, Shimada K, Hoshi M, Zhumadilov K, Shima T, Fukuoka M, Imanaka T, Endo S, Sakaguchi A, Kimura S (2012) An early survey of the radioactive contamination of soil due to the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident, with emphasis on plutonium analysis. Geochem J 46:341–353Google Scholar
- 6.Zheng J, Tagami K, Watanabe Y, Uchida S, Aono t, Ishii N, Yoshida S, Kubota Y, Fuma S, Ihara S (2012) Isotopic evidence of plutonium release into the environment from the Fukushima DNPP accident. Sci Rep 2:304. doi:10.138/srep00304
- 7.Zheng J, Aono T, Uchida S, Zhang J, Honda MC (2012) Distribution of Pu isotopes in marine sediments in the Pacific 30 km off Fukushima after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant accident. Geochem J 46:361–369Google Scholar
- 12.Turner A, Millward GE (1994) Partitioning of trace metals in a macrotidal estuary. Implications for contaminant transport models. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 39:45–58Google Scholar
- 17.Periáñez R (1999) Three dimensional modelling of the tidal dispersion of non conservative radionuclides in the marine environment. Application to 239,240Pu dispersion in the eastern Irish Sea. J Mar Syst 22:37–51Google Scholar
- 18.Dietze H, Kriest I (2012) 137Cs off Fukushima Dai-ichi, Japan. Model based estimates of dilution and fate. Ocean Sci 8: 319–332Google Scholar